Use Your Free Time: Shows to Binge This Summer Break 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

It’s finally that time: the sun is out and we are at last alleviated from the constant stress that comes from school. Now it’s time to catch up on a few things you may have missed or have been waiting to try out. And if you’re looking to fill up some of your free time, I’ve got the perfect list of shows you can watch. So whether you’re lounging at home or in the middle of a weeks-long road trip, here are a few shows you should give a try!

Never Have I Ever 

If you’ve already started this, here’s your reminder that season four is out now! As someone who has the hardest time sitting through lengthy shows, this is my dream come true. The short action-packed episodes are entertaining for every minute. As much as I love this show, and enjoy the Indian representation (although quite a bit stereotypical at times), I must say Devi is a mess and I love it. I’m about two episodes into season four right now and let me tell you, it seems really impossible for this girl to make a single good decision. And for all my fellow watchers, if you aren’t Team Ben, what are you doing?

Daisy Jones & the Six 

I can’t speak on the show but this is one of the most amazing books I have read. Taylor Jenkins Reid really knows how to put a story together. During the school year I was drowning in work, and binging a show was not remotely close on the list of things I needed to accomplish. However, now that I have the time, I’m excited to see how this story plays out in a show (especially how it captures the infamous Daisy Jones and Billy Dune duo). I’ve listened to the album based off the book and if the show is anything as good as that, I’m sure it will be amazing.

The Summer I Turned Pretty 

Let’s get one thing out of the way: I am a team Conrad girly and to be quite honest I feel like that should be the only option because people cannot genuinely be out there rooting for Jeremiah. Season two is coming out really soon, although we unfortunately won’t be able to binge this show since episodes will be released weekly. Just from the trailer, it’s obvious there will be a whole lot of drama and heartbreak (the absolute perfect trope). Let’s keep our fingers crossed and hope things turn out well for Belly and Conrad!

New Girl 

If you know me, you know that this show is one of my biggest obsessions. And honestly, Netflix was so foul for taking New Girl off because it was one of the few things that kept me sane. Once I finish watching New Girl, I watch New Girl again. There is not a moment in time when this show is not on. The beautifully built relationships, Winston’s epic pranks and the perfect dynamic of those living in the loft truly create the best TV show known to mankind. 

Modern Family 

Modern Family comes in on a close second after my obsession with New Girl. This is another one of those shows that you can never get tired of watching and just keeps getting funnier every time you see it. Since my first watch, I have come to hate the characters I loved and vice versa. I feel like the majority of people have watched some Modern Family but I included it on this list as your reminder to re-watch it because it really does not get funnier than Phil Dunphy. 

Shark Tank

Now you might be thinking that Shark Tank is a really random suggestion but let me tell you, I really am onto something. I took my first management course this Spring and we watched a little clip of an episode that got me hooked. It’s so mind-numbing to watch the snazzy pitches and niche products. There’s also a perfect amount of drama (some of it that leaves me crying from laughter) and honestly, I’ve even come to find a product or two I never needed. 

It’s time to enjoy this well-deserved free time, so kick back and relax with one of these amazing watches. Whether it be continuing the shows you’ve already started or catching up on those you desperately hoped to watch during the school year, a good show is the perfect way to pass some time. To all the students out there, congratulations on another finished school year; you deserve the break!

Kajal is a second year political science major at UCLA . In her free time she enjoys reading, writing, and occasionally crocheting.