UCLA Suicide and Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Early Saturday morning reports came in about the death of a UCLA fourth-year, economics major.

According to the Daily Bruin, firefighters responded to an emergency call reporting a fire early Saturday morning. While no fire was found in the building, the student was discovered in a smoke-filled room and declared dead after paramedics tried to revive him.

Police are currently investigating this as a possible suicide.

This is heartbreaking news, especially as it has occurred around finals when there is a high level of stress among university students. While we cannot presume this to be the cause, here at Her Campus UCLA, we would like to take the chance to stress the importance of mental as well as physical health.

According to the American Psychological Association, mental health is a growing concern among college students. In a recent survey, the APA found that anxiety is the top concern among university students, followed by depression and relationship problems and according to the National Institute of Mental health suicide is the leading cause of death for teens and young adults ages 15 to 24.

If you need help to manage emotional crises or are contemplating suicide, remember you are not alone and that there are resources you can turn to for help. Talk to someone you trust or contact UCLA’s Counseling and Psychological Services. In addition to counseling and therapy, CAPS also offers psychoeducational programs and workshops. For more information on UCLA CAPS, please visit their website (http://www.counseling.ucla.edu) or call them 24 hours a day at 310-825-0768. 

UCLA, 3rd year. Communication Studies major.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.