UCLA Radio’s DJ Mikey G

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Every Sunday from 2-4PM this spring quarter, Battle Royale takes over UCLA Radio with DJ’s Manly Hands and Mikey G. Michael Greenwald, known on-air as DJ Mikey G, met with Her Campus to give us the inside scoop on this entertaining and musically inclined program. Exploring questions of best guitar solo, worst sex metaphors, and greatest indie rock beards, these two hours easily become a weekly listening habit.

Her Campus: How did you get involved in UCLA Radio? Have you always wanted to be a DJ?
Michael Greenwald: I’ve spent the last five years of my life obsessing over music – listening to it, playing it, and learning about it. Being a DJ seemed exciting to me because it lets me share the best of what I’ve heard with my listeners. I found out about the station through friends who were already involved.

HC: Why should listeners tune into your show?
MG: Each week my co-DJ (DJ Manly-Hands, Andrew Laffin) and I pick songs that pertain to a theme (debut songs, deep cuts, etc.) and then argue about who picked the better songs. It’s a lot of fun for us and I think our listeners would agree. We play a decent variety of music – classic rock, indie, hip-hop – so there’s really something for everyone.

HC: Where did your name Battle Royale come from? And how did you come up with your DJ name?
MG: Battle Royale is the name of this Japanese film about a bunch of middle school students sent to a deserted island and forced to kill each other – very Lord of the Flies-esque. (Neither of us have seen it). Given the bellicose nature of our show, it seemed a good fit. My DJ name is a cooler version of my real name. (Though my real name is already pretty cool.)

HC: Which music set has been your favorite so far?
MG: Our show on ‘deep cuts’ was pretty great. We debated about whether Ryan Adams or James Murphy (LCD Soundsystem) would win in a fight. During our final show last quarter, we played a bunch of live covers of our favorite songs because our show was karaoke themed.

HC: If you could have any special guest on your show, who would it be?
MG: Any of my favorite people in music today! Thom Yorke has been an idol to me since I first listened to The Bends in high school, and the latest Radiohead album is terrific. Also, Kanye West, Dan Bejar (Destroyer), Robin Pecknold (Fleet Foxes) and Steven Wilson.

HC: What is another way students can listen to your show?
MG: If you download our App from the iTunes store (it’s free) you can listen to UCLA radio WHEREVER and WHENEVER you want. Do it!

HC: How is UCLA radio run and how can students get involved?
MG:The station is actually split into several departments, which are responsible for various tasks like reviewing new CD’s or updating the blog. I work in Productions, so I help record public service announcements and manage live sound for bands. If you want to join the station, we have a meeting near the beginning of each quarter where you can apply to be an intern and eventually have a show of your own. We’re currently having our pledge drive which runs through eighth week. The station is student-funded so ANY support we can get would be fantastic.

Donations can be made online and everyone who donates is also added into a raffle to win concert tickets to Usher, Arctic Monkeys, or Kid Cudi! Access to the show and the schedule of all UCLA Radio programs can be found online at www.uclaradio.com, along with contact information for their on-air line or making song requests.

Madeline Hunt is a senior at UCLA majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Spanish. Originally from the laidback beach-town of Santa Barbara, the California native finds the fast-paced nature and eccentricity of LA extremely exciting. Once more, she decided to expand her horizons when she studied abroad this past fall in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Madeline wants to pursue a career in the entertainment industry and is considering broadcast journalism and public relations as potential options. On campus, she is currently the Public Relations & Marketing Director for the student- run organization Fashion and Student Trends and an intern at E! News. She served as an entertainment reporter on UCLA’s accredited student newspaper, The Daily Bruin, under the video division and is a current member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. During her free time, she enjoys playing tennis, exercising, going to the beach, shopping (online shopping will be the death of her!), reading Glamour and Cosmo, eating Mexican food and sushi, spending time with her friends, practicing her Spanish, and satisfying her weakness for caffeine with Starbuck’s lattes.