UCLA Gymnastics Pays Tribute To Sexual Assault Survivors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Today, Sunday February 4, 2018, the No. 4 UCLA Women’s Gymnastics team welcomed the No. 1 University of Oklahoma Sooners in Pauley Pavilion. After a tied score going into the fourth rotation, amazing performances were seen from both teams, with a 10.0 on floor for both UCLA’s Katelyn Ohashi and Felicia Hano and 10.0s on beam for Oklahoma’s Maggie Nichols and Anastasia Webb. Oklahoma’s Brenna Dowell also scored a 10.0 on vault and UCLA’s Peng-Peng Lee on beam. The Oklahoma Sooners pulled out a win over UCLA, the final score being 198.050 to 197.900.

At the end of the meet, the teams joined together to pay tribute to sexual assault survivors and the brave women who have spoken out in recent events. Teal pom poms and teal “Together We Rise” wristbands were passed out to fans. Coaches Valorie Kondos Field (UCLA) and K.J. Kindler (Oklahoma) opened the ceremony by stating the importance of uniting together to show support and show that we are stronger together. 

A video followed, featuring UCLA alumni who have publicly claimed to be survivors. These women are Olympic medalists Jordyn Wieber and Jamie Dantzscher and US national team competitors Jeanette Antolin and Mattie Larson. Oklahoma’s Maggie Nichols was also honored alongside these women.

The women of both teams put on white shirts and held hands in solidarity. It was a truly moving ceremony. We all must support each other. Together We Rise. Photos Courtesy of Gillian Campbell

Gillian is a second year, biology major at UCLA from Woodside, California. She hopes to take a gap year after undergrad and then go to medical school and become a pediatric oncologist. She enjoys volunteering and is involved with many clubs on campus, such as Colleges Against Cancer and Bruins Fighting Pediatric Cancer in addition to Her Campus. Gillian also loves writing and DIY crafts and anytime she gets the chance, you can find her binge-watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix.  
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.