Wellness

Treating Myself To Coffee Every Day: The Importance Of Indulgences

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

With all of the stresses of college life, it is important to incorporate simple pleasures into your routine. For me, this simple pleasure comes in the form of a daily cup of coffee. My daily cup of coffee is not only a necessary caffeine fix, but it has also become a cherished ritual that has emphasized the importance of everyday comforts. 

For a long time, I was very stringent about when and where I would splurge on coffee, restricting myself to my parents’ Keurig that would pour a respectable, but very plain cup. I viewed coffee as a luxury that, at only a few dollars, was still far too expensive for me to purchase every day. However, with the stress of college life and the lack of a coffee maker in my apartment, I have joyfully joined our society’s newfound acceptance of treating yourself to a sweet treat every day. 

Although often viewed as a morning drink, coffee can be an activity for me at any time of the day. Quite often I make my return from campus at 6 PM with a cup of coffee in hand, a little reward for myself for getting through a busy day. Coffee, for me, is not just a morning routine; it is a moment of respite at any time of the day when I might need it the most. 

As a college student, making the financial choice to buy coffee every day might not be the most responsible decision. However, I see this daily indulgence as an investment in self-care and a beneficial extravagance that makes my day both more enjoyable and more exciting. The advantages of this small financial splurge strongly outweigh any small cost that I might be squandering. 

The ritual of purchasing my daily cup of coffee is also an integral part of this experience. The act of choosing a place to get my coffee from each day, selecting the perfect coffee to buy, and even choosing somewhere to sit and enjoy it are all crucial aspects of this practice. My cup of coffee becomes a celebration within my day, a break between my classes, meetings, and assignments. This coffee is also a dedication and commitment to myself that throughout all of the stress of my day-to-day life, I am worthy of little rewards and moments of relaxation. 

In a hectic world that demands our constant energy, it is important to recognize the value of these small indulgences. For me, a cup of coffee each day perfectly serves this purpose, as it fuels me with energy and gives my mind a rest from the responsibilities of my everyday life. Rewarding yourself in this way comes at a low financial cost but a high self-care benefit, emphasizing the importance of giving yourself time for rest, relaxation, and pleasure. 

I urge you to splurge on a coffee each day, if you can, and break up your daily routine with a moment of peace. Even if coffee isn’t your thing, embrace your daily indulgence, whatever it may be. You will not only face each day with more energy and happiness, but you will also always have something to look forward to, making each day more exciting and memorable. 

Nicole is a third-year student at UCLA from Plymouth, Massachusetts pursuing an International Development Studies major and Global Health minor. She loves the beach, hiking, traveling, and coffee.