Trader Joe’s Produce: The Greatest Hits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

We all know Trader Joe’s for their creative frozen and refrigerated meals, but how is their produce? What is worth getting here and what should you get at another store? Here are a few ideas of what to look out on your next trip to Trader Joe’s:

Bananas

Their bananas are no joke. Organic or not, there is great pricing for both and it has been the same 19-29 cents per banana for a long time. If you are looking for some added potassium and sweetness to your breakfast or baked goods or even just a good snack before a workout, don’t forget to grab a banana. 

Bananas
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
The many varieties of avocados

I don’t think anyone could miss the avocado section within Trader Joe’s. It’s a full tower of loose avocados with bags of them below, and there is definitely a version for everyone. I like the organic Hass avocados bag because they are great for tacos, salads, and avocado toast with some balsamic vinegar. The only issue with getting bags of avocados is that they all ripen around the same time. A trick I learned for this is to put some of the avocados into a brown paper bag and leave the rest on the counter. The ones in the bag will ripen in about two days and the rest will still be unripe.

Fresh cut watermelon

There are so many fresh fruits to choose from but I think the watermelon is the best. It is pre-cut and a great snack that is sweet and a good source of electrolytes. The watermelon is super good and is ready to share. Trader Joe’s also has wooden forks that are grab and go which is really convenient for the watermelon. 

The Lalawatermelon Slices On Sticks
Her Campus Media
Bell peppers 

Everyone has their own preference in terms of color for their bell peppers. Red bell peppers are the sweetest, so they are great for stir-frys and dishes that need to balance out some bitterness. Green bell peppers are slightly bitter which can be great to pair with sweeter sauces. Yellow bell peppers are in between, not too sweet or bitter, and they are fully grown. Nomatter your favorite, the organic three pack provides one of each and is very versatile for dishes. I highly recommend these.

No matter what you pick up at Trader Joe’s, you’re sure to find a win. Produce can be found in many places, but if you’re looking for some great new products and still want some staples, you might not need to leave Trader Joe’s. 

Kailey is an English major at UCLA and has her sights set on writing pieces that connect people to nature. Her main goal in her articles is to inspire people to be authentic and chase their passion.