Top 10 Things to Watch/Read This Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

With a new month comes new movie and book releases to fill your time, discussions and shelves. Here are 5 of the most anticipated books and movies of March 2018:

Movies

1. A Wrinkle in Time (March 9)

Everyone’s favorite childhood book has gotten the Hollywood treatment from none other than UCLA Alumna Ava Duvernay. There’s science, whimsy and intrigue. Plus, Oprah’s in it!

2. Tomb Raider (March 16)

Two words: Girl power. It’s a promising remake with a stellar cast, and Alicia Vikander is sure to live up to Angelina Jolie.

3. Love, Simon (March 16)

A cute adaptation of a young adult novel, Simon and the Homo Sapien Agenda, that’s sure to warm (and break) our hearts.

4. Sherlock Gnomes (March 23)

I very clearly remember watching Gnomeo and Juliet in theaters as a kid and am looking forward to a sequel years later. It’s expected to be a fuzzy film that would be perfect to take younger siblings to!

5. Ready Player One (March 30)

I cannot contain my excitement about this film adaptation of one of my favorite books. It’s like Spy Kids 3-D, but a grown up version– so that should entice everybody to snatch up a ticket.

Books

1. Restore Me by Tahereh Mafi (March 6)

When Mafi announced there would be three more books in what was once known as the Shatter Me Trilogy, it was like Christmas came early. We will finally learn what becomes of Warner, Adam and Juliet after Ignite Me.

2. The House of Broken Angels by Luis Alberto Urrea (March 6)

This book tells the story of a first-generation American family in San Diego, the de la Cruzes, and the expected final birthday party for the head of the family, called Big Angel. It’s a realistic portrayal of life and the United States, sure to make readers laugh and cry.

3. Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi (March 6)

This West African-inspired fantasy novel is likely to fly off the shelves, just as authors like Sabaa Tahir did. A story of magic and ruthless regimes, it’ll likely be an page turner from start to finish.

4. The Red Word by Sarah Henstra (March 13)

This is an incredibly important story for our generation, which discusses rape culture on college campuses. The story follows Karen, who is torn between the party allure at a fraternity infamous for assaults and exposing rape culture for a feminist group she loves on campus.

5. Tangerine by Christine Mangan (March 27)

Taking place in Morocco, this book seems to unravel the mystery of what happened to an old friendship. Plus, it’s already optioned for a film starring Scarlett Johansson!

Photos Courtesy of Disney, Alexa Velasquez, and Amazon.

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.