This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

2019 promises to be the year of diversity in Hollywood in a way that finally begins to live up to the hype. Some of these films have been highly anticipated for years, but with the passage of time, we are seeing how the positive changes in American culture are seeping into the films as they finally come to fruition. There are also surprises. If 2018 was the year of the diverse rom-com, 2019 may be the year horror films begin to dominate superhero films, as Marvel and DC will produce films expecting to have high grosses. We are still not at the “peak” of superhero films—though we are getting close. Here are the films to look out for, and watch, if you want to be able to talk to anyone at a party or at work this year:

1. Rocketman

I am usually not one to be excited for biopics, but Rocketman has really caught my attention. The film has casted Kingsman‘s breakout star, Taron Egerton. One interesting aspect Rocketman has is that unlike most biopics about singers where actors do lip sync, Taron Egerton will actually be singing! The film also has a fantastical and otherworldly element with relation to the music Elton John created. I have a feeling this film could be 2019’s Bohemian Rhapsody. It will capture the hearts that are nostalgic for Elton John’s music and deliver the interesting story that is Elton John’s life. Rocketman will be hitting theaters May 19, 2019.

2. Detective Pikachu

I will admit I am still a little skeptical about this film. It is based off the video game of the same name and will be bringing Pokemon into live action. The concept is promising enough; a film noir comedy with a talking, wise-cracking Detective Pikachu, voiced by Deadpool‘s Ryan Reynolds! The trailer’s animation looks really cool, as it seamlessly mixes realism and fantasy, and no matter what I or other individual people think, the film will be a likely magnet for those who grew up on Pokemon. I am just curious to see if this Pokemon noir comedy will actually work on the big screen. The film has the potential to become a cult classic! Detective Pikachu will be hitting theaters May 10, 2019.

3. Happy Death Day2U

The sequel I never knew was happening, but I am excited it is! The first film really surprised me and exceeded my expectations. The heroine, Tree, was an interesting Final Girl who, in the original Happy Death Day, was actually allowed to grow as a character. Happy Death Day is like a snappy horror version Bill Murray’s Groundhog’s Day or Emily Blunt’s Edge of Tomorrow. The trailer for Happy Death Day2U really hyped me up because it seems like the sequel will be even more wild, as it will be taking the first film’s Run Lola Run-style time loop to a new level of crazy. It might be terrible to say this, but I am sorta looking forward to the new and creative deaths Tree will have to go through. This is definitely a film to see with friends, (and yes, a date!) as it arrives in theaters the week of Valentine’s Day. Happy Death Day 2U will be hitting theaters February 13, 2019.

4. The Legomovie 2: The Second Part

When the first Legomovie came out, it was a surprise hit because it was sharp, witty, meta and a lot of fun. It satirized consumer products culture while promoting a product! The second one looks like it will be the same level of witty and satirical, but with even more excitement and adventure. The second one also has Brooklyn 99 star, Stephanie Beatriz, joining the cast as a mysterious character. It will be exciting to see how the sequel takes elements of the first and tries to build upon it. The Legomovie 2: The Second Part will be arriving to theaters February 8, 2019.

5. Jojo Rabbit

This film is from New Zealand director, Taika Waititi, best known for his direction work in Thor: Ragnarok, Boy, The Hunt of the Wilderpeople and my personal favorite film What We Do in the Shadows. Jojo Rabbit is an adaption of the book Catching Skies, a dark dramedy about about a young German boy trying to find his place in Nazi regime during World War II. The young boy seeks guidance in his imaginary friend who takes the shape as Adolf Hitler. His beliefs will be in question when his mother turns out to be against Nazis and is hiding a Jewish girl. Taika Waititi is actually playing the part of Adolf Hitler, which is ironic as Waititi is half Maori and half Jewish. Waititi has shown great deftness in blending political and social issues with humor in his films. Jojo Rabbit has no set release day, but it is expected to hit theaters in late 2019.

6. Spiderman: Far From Home

I know most people would expect Avengers: Endgame to be more anticipated than the Spiderman sequel, but I think that would only be the case if Marvel did not spoil the fact that Peter Parker will not be staying dead since he will be alive and well in his sequel. I just find the plot of this new movie so interesting because it is taking Spiderman away from New York, a setting that has defined Peter Parker’s character. Zendaya will be having a larger part of the MCU’s reimagining of MJ, as the trailer hints at the budding romance between her and Peter. This film also captures my interest because it somehow got Jake Gyllenhaal to play the outlandish, mystical, fish bowl wearing villain, Mysterio. Spiderman: Far From Home, will be coming to theaters July 5, 2019.

7. Shazam!

As a comic book fan, I must admit I never thought Shazam! would get a live action film. I was lucky to see some of the first footage of the movie at San Diego Comic-Con last summer, and ever since then, I have been very excited to see this film. The casting of Zachary Levi is just perfect for the role because he is great at playing a child-man without being creepy. The film looks like a fun take on an otherwise fast-becoming-tired coming-of-age narrative, as the dialogue in the trailers has been sharp and clever. Shazam! will be released April 5, 2019.

8. It: Chapter 2

When the first film was released in 2017, nobody expected the sequel film to be so possible. The arrival of Chapter 2 has been highly anticipated for awhile now. Because the film will be taking place years later, the kids in the first film are now adults. The amazing cast includes Jessica Chastain, James McAvoy and Bill Hader, three A-Listers in Hollywood right now. It will be really interesting to see how the film portrays the second part of King’s novel. It: Chapter 2 arrives to theaters September 6, 2019.

9. Captain Marvel

This may be the most highly anticipated film of 2019. Marvel has been hinting for years at making a female-led superhero film, and it is finally happening! I for one am excited mostly because of my childhood admiration for Captain Marvel (aka Carol Danvers). I am so excited to see Brie Larson take on this iconic role. This movie has a lot to live up to, though, because of DC’s release of the first female-led superhero film back in 2017, Wonder Woman. I am not saying we should compare the two films, but it is important to realize that Marvel has been making thoughtful blockbuster films for a long time, and we are only now finally getting a female-led Marvel superhero. Captain Marvel will be hitting theaters on March 8, 2019.

10. Us

After the success of Jordan Peele’s instant horror classic, Get Out, comes Peele’s next horror film, Us. Us features a mostly African American cast, which includes Academy Award winning actress, and goddess, Lupita Nyong’o. The film will be focusing on a family who goes on vacation, but the fun quickly goes south when deadly strangers arrive who look exactly like them. I am very excited to see how Jordan Peele switches up the horror genre again, as he did with Get Out. From the footage released, it looks like there will be many twists and scares to come. Us will be released on March 22, 2019.

I know everyone has different tastes, but I hope these squibs are helpful as we reach for the popcorn at the movie theaters this year.

Shayna Freedman is an English major at UCLA. She hopes to become a screenwriter for film and tv after she graduates. Her favorite genres are horror and romance. Shayna is often ranting about feminism when not writing about anything relating to nerd culture. Be careful, she might end up going on an hour rant about the politics in the superhero genre. You can find Shayna writing, reading at the beach, finding the best brunch spots, or out on adventures with her friends.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.