Top 10 California Road Trip Destinations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

The school year has ended and you’re beginning to plan out your summer 2016 road trip plans (at least we hope you are). Look no further than this list for some incredible California destinations! 

1)    Malibu

If you are coming to Malibu from 101 South, stop by other coastal towns like Carpinteria and Ventura before you arrive in order to see as many cities as you can on your visit down the coast. Malibu has a lot of beautiful beaches such as Point Dume State Beach and Preserve, El Matador State Beach, and Zuma Beach. There are a few restaurants along Malibu Pier and in Malibu Country Mart but our best travel advice for you is to just drive along the coast or ask the locals.

2)    Big Sur and Monterey

Big Sur is only a 50-minute drive from Monterey so you could definitely check out both areas in one day. Aside from the gorgeous coastal views, some interesting things to check out include the Monterey Bay Aquarium, 17 Mile Drive, Fisherman’s Wharf, and Cannery Row along with the towns of Pacific Grove and Carmel. As for Big Sur, Bixby Creek Bridge and Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park are popular landmarks.

3)    Fort Bragg and Mendocino

Northern California beaches have some of the most beautiful and rocky coastlines you will ever lay your eyes on, so be sure to soak it in while you can. Some cool places you should check out include Glass Beach, Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens, and MacKerricher State Park. If you love Redwoods (especially the smell of them), hop aboard the Skunk Train and travel from Fort Bragg to Willits. Along Main Street you will find numerous stores and yummy restaurants including Egghead’s Restaurant, Cowlick’s Ice Cream, David’s, and Piaci Pizza. Driving south from Fort Bragg will take you to Mendocino which has incredibly quaint shops, delicious baked goods, restaurants, and magnificent views of the coast.

4)    Yosemite

If you’re looking for a road trip destination that will allow yourself to escape the city and become one with nature, Yosemite is the place for you. Whether you decide to brave the elements and sleep outside or stay in a lodge, the trip is whatever you make it to be. Some places of interest include Glacier Point, Half Dome, Tunnel View, and Yosemite Falls. Do some research to see which trails and hikes best fit what you want to experience during your stay.

5)    Joshua Tree and Palm Springs

If Joshua Tree is your destination, you’ll basically be wandering around and hiking different areas with or without a tour guide. There are some cool things you can purchase at Coyote Corner and this is another trip that would require you to ask around to see where the best restaurants are located. With Palm Springs being a 45-minute drive away, you can easily head down and explore the different canyons and mountains trails.

6)    Los Angeles

The list for all the awesome attractions to check out in L.A. could go on and on and if you’re only here for a few days, you’ll never have enough time to see everything you want. Some must-sees on our list include The Getty Center, Griffith Observatory, LACMA, The Broad, Runyon Canyon Park, Santa Monica Pier, Sunset Boulevard, and the Venice Canals. Along the way, you will stumble upon multiple restaurants that will demand your attention (and wallet) that you must try out. Be sure to venture into areas like Sawtelle, Chinatown, and Olvera Street in order to fully immerse yourself in everything that L.A. has to offer.

7)    San Francisco

With so much to see and experience in S.F., you really need to plan your time wisely. Start off by taking a legendary drive across the Golden Gate Bridge, face your fears maneuvering your car on tight and winding Lombard Street, and then plan a lazy lunch in either Golden Gate Park or Delores Park. Stop by Chinatown and Little Italy, drive up to Twin Peaks to see an absolutely breathtaking view of the city and bay, relax at Fisherman’s Wharf, then hop on a ferry and take a night tour at Alcatraz. There are also multiple beaches to check out including Ocean Beach, Lands End, and Baker Beach. Finally, hop on a cable car and make your way into Union Square and then take a photo in front of the Painted Ladies in Alamo Square Park before you head out of the city.

8)    Santa Barbara

The Santa Barbara County Courthouse has beautiful architecture and incredible 360 degree views of the city. If you’re into California history, check out Old Mission Santa Barbara and to wrap up the night take a walk along the beach then head to State Street for good restaurants and quaint shops.

9)    San Diego

If you’ve never visited San Diego before, the San Diego Zoo is obviously a must-see, no matter how old you are. Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve has some incredible scenic views and just like any other major coastal city, there are plenty of different beaches to check out. The beach that Hotel del Coronado is located on is beautiful and awesome seafood restaurants can be found throughout the city.

10) San Luis Obispo and Cambria

Plan your trip so you spend your Thursday night in S.L.O. and can experience the coolest Farmers Market that you will ever set foot in. Downtown S.L.O. is very cute and has a lot of different restaurants and shops to explore after dinner. If you’re in the mood for a hike, Bishop Peak is a popular spot and if you’ve never made it to Seattle’s Gum Wall, S.L.O. boasts its own Bubblegum Alley downtown. We also suggest that since you’re in the area you check out the small coastal town that is known as Cambria. The coastline is absolutely stunning and Linn’s Restaurant is definitely worth your time. Travel a little further north into San Simeon and visit Hearst Castle, a little piece of California’s history. 

Images courtesy of huffingtonpost.com, come2malibu.com, planetden.com, travelyosemite.com, kcet.org, travel.nationalgeographic.com, thetig.com, travelinnate.com, hilton.com, wikipedia.com

Megan is UCLA's Co-Campus Correspondent. She is a 4th year English major and Education Studies minor at UCLA. When she's not at a coffee shop reading, she loves going to the beach and trying different cuisines at new restaurants.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.