The Three Best Vegetarian Bets in Westwood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Whether you’re trying to save some lives, eat healthier, save the planet or just like the taste of veggies, a meatless meal can be a wonderful thing.

Native Foods Cafe:
This Gayley restaurant with an all vegan menu is a vegetarian’s paradise. Their offerings range from appetizers (don’t miss their chicken fingers-they taste like the real thing!) to pizzas, burgers, wraps, rice bowls salads and more. They offer four different kinds vegetarian protein: tofu, “Native Chicken” (made from pea and wheat proteins), seitan (made from wheat gluten) and tempeh (made from cultured soybeans). This is the best place to go if you are trying out vegan food for the first time. Most of their dishes are inspired by the foods you know and love; you’ll find nachos, fried chicken and even a bacon cheeseburger on their menu! Even better, every Friday from 3-6pm all of their appetizers are half off, making it much cheaper to enjoy delicious vegan fare.

Whole Foods Hot Food Bar: While a vegetarian could spend hours in Whole Foods ooh-ing and aah-ing over all of the unique products that they stock, one of the best things that they offer are their salad bar and hot bars. During breakfast, lunch and dinner customers can grab a box and go to town on the bars, loading their boxes up with a range of dishes that change everyday. The hot bar offers vegetarian, vegan, gluten free and dishes with meat so no matter who you bring with you they will find something that they enjoy. Some of my favorite dishes that I’ve found in the hot bar are tempeh chorizo, madras potatoes, spiced kale chickpeas and vegetable quinoa. While it can add up fast (each pound costs $7.99) stop by on Wednesdays for two dollars off per pound and enjoy all of the options!

Nature’s Way Cafe: Located next door to Yogurtland, this option is the most student-budget friendly and also offers breakfast between 8 and 11AM for those early risers. They offer many different kinds of veggie burgers, soy “chicken” entrees and veggie plates with brown rice and lots of toppings. Nature’s Way also has meat options so you can bring your tofu-phobic friends with you. Just don’t pencil a trip here into your weekend plans-its closed on Saturdays and Sundays. 

Picture: http://www.quarrygirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/native-foods-ext-57…

Madeline Hunt is a senior at UCLA majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Spanish. Originally from the laidback beach-town of Santa Barbara, the California native finds the fast-paced nature and eccentricity of LA extremely exciting. Once more, she decided to expand her horizons when she studied abroad this past fall in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Madeline wants to pursue a career in the entertainment industry and is considering broadcast journalism and public relations as potential options. On campus, she is currently the Public Relations & Marketing Director for the student- run organization Fashion and Student Trends and an intern at E! News. She served as an entertainment reporter on UCLA’s accredited student newspaper, The Daily Bruin, under the video division and is a current member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. During her free time, she enjoys playing tennis, exercising, going to the beach, shopping (online shopping will be the death of her!), reading Glamour and Cosmo, eating Mexican food and sushi, spending time with her friends, practicing her Spanish, and satisfying her weakness for caffeine with Starbuck’s lattes.