Life > Experiences

Clubs You Can Join To Make A Difference As A Woman At UCLA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

It’s so amazing that we get to explore many volunteering and job opportunities in college. Giving back to the community is a great way to find what you want to do as well as help those in need. In celebration of International Women’s Day, I wanted to share some things we Bruins can do to empower ourselves and others:

Interested In Helping With Menstrual AWARENESS – Days for Girls at UCLA

In many communities, there is very little access to education when it comes to menstruation and menstrual products. Days For Girls at UCLA is an organization that strives to educate the public on these topics and de-stigmatize menstrual awareness. They directly combat this issue by making menstrual kits and sending them to those in need. This organization needs volunteers that are ready to make a difference in women’s health!

For those interested in Helping animals – B.A.R.C.

Animals are something near and dear to many of our hearts, so what better way to make a difference in our community than by helping them? The Bruin Animal Rescue Coalition (or B.A.R.C.) is a student-run organization that strives to educate the community about improving the welfare of animals. Not only do they spread awareness for their cause, but they also make it a point to be a part of the solution. They do this by volunteering with several different local non-profits that are determined to help animals. I have personally seen lots of animals in shelters due to overpopulation, which is one of B.A.R.C.’s main problems they combat through volunteer work.

Calling all music lovers – Heartstringz At UCLA

Do you have a passion for music? Whether you are a professional trombone player or just like listing to random playlists on Spotify, this club could be a good match for you. Heartstringz at UCLA combines teaching music, learning the ukulele and bringing joy to hospitalized children and senior citizens. This club is great for anybody who has been looking to learn the ukulele and bring some human kindness to those who are needing a little extra.

If You’re still undecided – Club Sampling Club

If you are the type of person that wants to sample every ice cream flavor before picking what you want, a scoop of Club Sampling Club is for you. This club is a unique opportunity for those of us who want to contribute but don’t know where we could truly do the best and feel the happiest yet. It allows students to attend different events thrown by clubs during the school year. This can help you find where you would like to make a difference or as they say enhance your overall Bruin experience.

This day to me means being thankful for where we are today; being able to celebrate womanhood and all of the amazing advocacy for us in the past that made this happen. There are so many people and organizations that deserve the same love and advocacy, and we get to be a part of that process which is incredibly meaningful to me and I hope it is to you as well. I urge anyone who is in a place where they can help others to do so, and if these clubs aren’t your cup of tea there is a whole UCLA website that offers many more options! Happy International Women’s Day!

Kailey is an English major at UCLA and has her sights set on writing pieces that connect people to nature. Her main goal in her articles is to inspire people to be authentic and chase their passion.