Style > Fashion

The Visual Genius Behind Skims’ New Valentine’s Day Campaign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Within the realm of visual storytelling, Nadia Lee Cohen stands out as a visionary artist, consistently pushing boundaries with her unique aesthetic. Never heard of her? Well, you might be surprised to know that she is the sole creative force behind a majority of beloved SKIMS campaigns. Renowned for her distinctive blend of nostalgia, Hollywood glamour, and surrealism, Cohen has become a highly sought-after director and photographer, even within the commercial modeling world.

Some of Nadia Lee Cohen’s greatest work (in my opinion), is that of the photography in her collection, WOMEN, and her films Make The Cover for Playboy, Future Beach, and A Guide to Indulgence. Cohen’s style is extremely specific, using motifs from old Hollywood and classic Americana, heavily inspired by the ‘60s and ‘70s. She creates a glossy alternate universe where she places a saturated, cinematic sheen over reality, ultimately showing it in its rawest form. While at first glimpse, her work may seem hyperreal or overly campy, in WOMEN, she manages to represent femininity in unprecedented ways. Her work, reminiscent of “trash movies” like John Waters’ Pink Flamingos and lower-budget cinema like Harmony Korine’s Gummo, continues to remind audiences of the power that is held in unconventionality. This distinctive approach has made her a standout figure in the visual arts, capturing the attention of brands and artists alike.

Most recently, Cohen has lent her creative prowess to SKIMS, the popular shapewear brand founded by Kim Kardashian, for their Valentine’s Day campaign, which features Grammy-nominated singer and fashion icon Lana Del Rey. Within this campaign– a campaign that clearly highlights overall themes of love, softness, and strength in vulnerability– Cohen’s distinct visual language has brought a captivating and empowering narrative to SKIMS’ latest collection. One of Nadia Lee Cohen’s most impressive skills is the ability to empower women through imagery. In the SKIMS campaign, Cohen masterfully captures the essence of Lana’s simultaneous femininity and strength, encouraging women to embrace being vulnerable and exposing themselves (and their bodies) to the world. The photographs tell a story of self-love, encouraging women to celebrate themselves and be their own Valentine. Nadia Lee Cohen’s background in visual storytelling is clearly evident in the cinematic quality of her work. Each photograph of the SKIMS campaign acts as a carefully composed movie frame, with thorough attention to detail and narrative depth, ultimately selling the clothes to viewers even more. Through her lens, the Valentine’s Day collection is more than just clothing; it becomes a celebration of individuality and empowerment.

Considering the immense success that the collaboration between Nadia Lee Cohen and SKIMS has led to (aka, the website literally crashing because too many people were trying to buy), I believe that these types of cinematic collaborations will lead other companies to follow SKIMS’ lead. In the future, we will most likely begin to observe fashion brands recognizing the importance of visual directors in shaping their image and the image of their product. In an era where social media and digital platforms play an absolutely crucial role in establishing brand identity, the ability to tell a compelling visual story has become paramount. Visual directors like Cohen bring a fresh perspective, elevating fashion campaigns into immersive and memorable experiences that make people want to buy, buy, buy.

Ultimately, Nadia Lee Cohen’s collaboration with SKIMS for the Valentine’s Day campaign is a testament to the power of visual storytelling in the world of fashion. Why wouldn’t companies want to use their products to tell a story? Her ability to blend nostalgia, empowerment, and cinematic excellence has created a campaign that transcends traditional fashion imagery, not to mention the superb casting decision to highlight Lana as the glowing centerpiece. As brands continue to seek out unique voices like Cohen to convey their message, the world of fashion will evolve for the better.

Autumn Morgan is a third-year Film & Television major at UCLA who grew up in the San Fernando Valley. She thoroughly enjoys being overdressed and reading women’s divorce fiction. In her free time, you can find her laying by a river eating fruit.