The Gothic Golden Girls — “Hocus Pocus 2” Is the Perfect Sequel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

WARNING! Spoilers ahead. 

The Sanderson Sisters are back and doing it with style. 

Right on time for Halloween, Disney released its follow-up to the 1993 cult classic Hocus Pocus. Like the original, it stars Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy in their respective silly-spooky roles as the Sanderson sisters. Doug Jones even returns as the hunk-turned-zombie Billy Butcherson. 

Like many fans of the original, I was worried when Disney announced part two. After so many years of subpar Disney sequels or remakes, I thought for sure they would do my Sanderson Sisters dirty. But, I’m thrilled to announce that Disney has for once come through for the older fans.

The new Hocus Pocus 2 successfully acts as an homage to the original’s goofiness, with cat and virgin references galore, while managing to cater its humor to modern audiences. At one point, the Sanderson Sisters visit a Walgreens so that they may buy “pre-made child soul potions.” My roommates and I couldn’t help but laugh at the 300-year-old women attempting to find their way around a beauty section that even we find confusing. To top it off, the scene ends with the three witches flying off on a broom, a Swiffer and two Roombas. 

Later, when the Sanderson Sisters lose a drag costume contest dressed as themselves, Winnifred Sanderson steals the trophy and interrupts the acceptance speech. For any Taylor Swift (stream Midnights!) and Kanye fans (really, still?), it’s a pop culture reference we remember all too well. Winnifred and Mary Sanderson also get into it with a Siri HomePod. Much to their chagrin, Siri “didn’t quite catch that.” 

Like the original, the sequel has a distinctly feminist flavor. Turns out, the Sanderson Sisters got their start because Winnifred refused to marry a stranger upon the orders of old Salem’s reverend. Hannah Waddingham makes an appearance as a fellow child-eating, camp-serving witch who gives Winnifred the infamous Book, advising her to keep her sisters close. “The world is not too fond of witches,” she says. Sisterhood is the most important thing a young witch can have.

The sequel does seem to be catered to include a slightly younger audience than the original. As such, it comes with a life lesson that all children, and honestly, a lot of us adults, need to learn. Gilbert, the local magic shop owner, tells Izzy and Becca that the Sanderson Sisters “were ahead of their time and they were misunderstood.” Later we learn from Becca (who’s been made fun of for her affinity for the supernatural) that “pointing out people’s differences and saying they’re weird is making fun of them.” I don’t know about you, but I know of a few people who could benefit from the Sanderson Sisters teaching them this lesson…

All in all, Middler, Parker and Najimy reprise their roles wonderfully. They artfully manage to make you root for their dysfunctional hijinks one more time. Parker once again cracks the audience up with her hilariously ditzy, yet strong-willed character. Najimy embodies Mary’s second-in-command role with the sweetest care and skillfully rides her Roombas while she’s at it. And Middler masterfully breathes more magic into the most beloved witch there ever was. 

In fact, the film ends with a brilliant performance by Middler when Winnifred realizes that in casting a spell to become all-powerful, she has paid the price of losing her sisters forever. “But they were my passionate partners in unholy mischief! My powers are nothing without my sisters,” she cries as she begs Book to take back the spell. For a comedy, it’s honestly heartbreaking to watch, especially as someone with an amazing sister of her own. I cry every time I watch it. Thankfully, the Sandersons are reunited. Middler delivers a beautiful goodbye to the character as she joins her sisters in peaceful death. 

“Oh, what fun we had,” she reminisces. 

Yes, Winnifred. That we did. 

Guinivere is a Political Science and Gender Studies double major at UCLA. In her free time, she loves watching bad (uh, AMAZING) reality TV, overspending on coffee, and discussing the latest Taylor Swift conspiracy theories with her friends.