Life > Academics

The English Major Myth: My Degree Isn’t Useless

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

“English isn’t a real major.” That’s how my dad responded when I told him I was pursuing an English major (he similarly responded when I told him I was double majoring in communications). The reality is this: English is a real major (obviously?), and the skills you acquire through the English major will always be needed in our society, such as critical thinking, reading, writing, persuasive skills, etc. That said, it creates the opportunity for innumerable career opportunities. The possibilities are endless: law, business, creative writing, teaching, copywriting, technical writing, and journalism are just a few potential career paths for English majors. 

Despite these innumerable potential career paths (and the fact that the skills of the English major are so widely applicable), the English major gets a bad rap for a lack of career opportunities and low-paying jobs. That is simply not true. Yes, some career paths related to the English degree are less stable, like those in creative writing, or pay less upon graduation, like teaching, but the same is true for most majors. Plus, these careers can have high payoffs later, such as for successful writers and teachers with pensions. Nonetheless, so-called “stable” or high-paying career paths are absolutely available for English majors. 

Law school, for example, is a great opportunity for English majors. The English major is consistently ranked in the top ten best majors for admittance into law schools, with CollegeVine ranking it #5. According to LSATMax, “English majors have a high admission rate (about 80 percent) into top-ranked law schools because the admissions board knows the value of all these skills.” Careers in business are also great for English majors who are expert communicators and have a high attention to detail. With good undergraduate internships, it’s possible to go straight into an entry-level business position or attend a graduate school for business with an English degree. 

English majors are extremely appealing to a range of employers because they possess honed necessary skills in writing and communication that other majors do not. CBS News claims that employers prefer English majors over business majors. And, according to HuffPost, a 2012 survey determined that employers generally prefer the graduates of liberal arts programs. 

Consider the endless successful English majors out there: Gwendolyn Brooks, Christopher Nolan, Reese Witherspoon, Steven Spielberg, John Wooden, Thurgood Marshall, Greta Gerwig, Angelo Bartlett Giamatti, and Clarence Thomas, to name a few. 

If you’re still doubtful, check out this video I made to convince my dad my major isn’t useless:

An honors project I made to prove to my dad the English degree isn’t useless.

As I’ve hopefully proven, the English major is a very useful degree. Nonetheless, if you are passionate about what you are studying and pursuing a career you are interested in, you are more likely to be successful — no matter your major. Your degree doesn’t define you; your passion, ambition, and effort will determine your success. So, to all my fellow English majors and potential English majors: trust yourself; you know what you’re doing. And, to our doubters, read up before you criticize us next time.

Kylee is a fourth-year at UCLA double-majoring in Communication and English with a concentration in Creative Writing. Her poems have been published in Train River Poetry, The Mandarin, Open Ceilings, and our very own Westwind (among others). She also writes feature articles for Her Campus at UCLA. In her free time, she acts, drinks way too much coffee, romanticizes everything, and buys more books than she can keep up with.