tao and elle on a movie date in heartstopper season 2
Netflix/See-Saw

The 5 Best Romance Movies From 2023 To Celebrate Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, I know you’re already thinking about what romance movie you want to watch cuddled up with your hubby, or maybe alone on your bed with a box of chocolates (both are great!). If you’ve seen classics like Pride and Prejudice, Notting Hill, and 10 Things I Hate About You a million times like I have, it might be time for a change! 2023 gifted us an abundance of romance movies to satisfy our romantic cravings, but only some are worthy enough to replace the classic favorites. Here is the cream of the crop from this year that you need for this February 14th! 

Past Lives

This stunning movie makes it up there with my favorite romance movies of all time, and is no doubt one of the best movies of 2023.  Past Lives explores the relationship between two childhood friends, one who moved to America and one who stayed in South Korea, who find each other again later in their lives and navigate their complicated feelings. Besides the beautifully-shot scenes and incredible performances from talented actors Greta Lee and Teo Yoo, it is also refreshingly real and surprisingly philosophical. It tells an unconventional love story that might not end the way you hoped, but certainly ends the way fate meant it to. If I can’t convince you to watch this movie, let the 96% score on Rotten Tomatoes do it! Grab some tissues and watch this movie on Hulu, Amazon Prime, or Paramount+ ASAP.

No Hard feelings

In desperate need for a rom-com this Valentine’s Day? No problem. No Hard Feelings is a genuinely funny and charming movie following a socially awkward high school senior who somehow lands a hot shot date. This date, however, is secretly a struggling 30 year old woman exchanging a car for a deal with his parents so she can stay afloat and pay the bills for her childhood home. Starring the one-and-only Jennifer Lawrence and the delightful Andrew Feldman, watching this endearing flick is the perfect Valentine’s Day pastime. This movie is filled with everything from action-packed moments to truly sentimental scenes, including the infamous  “Maneater” cover that you may have seen on TikTok (it’s even better in the moment!). Pull up Netflix for a good laugh and a genuinely sweet movie.

All of Us Strangers

If you have seen the popular romance series Normal People or Fleabag, I’m sure you have already heard of this movie. If not, All of Us Strangers starring heartthrobs Paul Mescal and Andrew Scott is a romance and fantasy movie about Adam (Scott), a struggling screenwriter, and his encounter with his peculiar neighbor Harry (Mescal), which begins a profound and even surreal relationship. The undeniable chemistry between these two incredible actors makes for an unforgettable performance, with no shortage of emotional and intimate themes and dream-like scenes. Matching Past Lives with a 96% Rotten Tomatoes score, this recently released film is certainly making waves in the film industry. Grab some popcorn and catch it in theaters on February 14th for an engrossing experience, or eagerly await its release on streaming services.

Anyone but you

While it may not be the most highly rated movie of 2023, Anyone But You is a surprisingly hilarious and genuinely enjoyable watch that might just be exactly the light-hearted movie you want to see this February 14th. After a series of miscommunications following an incredible first date, former lovers Bea and Ben become instant mortal enemies, facing an impossible challenge when they somehow meet again at the same destination wedding in Australia. Here, they fake a relationship for the sake of maintaining peace. If you missed the online drama about Sydney Sweeney and Glen Powell’s spicy chemistry, it is no lie – the constant fighting mixed with steamy moments definitely creates an absorbing and charismatic love story that ends with the classic happy ending we all love. Watch this film in theaters while it’s still there!

The Eternal Memory

Moving away from the classic, predictable romance movies, change up your usual Valentine’s Day showing with a beautiful, Oscar-nominated documentary about real, undying love. The Eternal Memory tells the endearing story of a long-time Chilean couple, Augusto and Paulina, whose lives get turned around when Augusto is diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, a disease that looms over their lives and threatens to change everything if Augusto one day forgets his love. Going back and forth between their younger lives and the present, where they face the everyday challenges of the ruthless and unforgiving reality of Alzheimers, this couple’s resilient love and bond is tremendous. Documentaries are underrated – this one might change how you view love forever. Watch this gorgeous film on Prime Video or Paramount+ for an unforgettable experience.

There you have it. I hope you’ve found the perfect new film to add to your Valentine’s queue to properly celebrate February 14th. Happy Valentine’s Day!

Maile Smith is a first-year Global Studies major from Palo Alto, California. She loves horseback riding, traveling the world, painting, reading on the beach, and her dogs!