Style

A Thanksgiving Style Guide: 5 Ways You Can Still Make A Fashion Statement Over Zoom Holiday Dinner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Besides eating all the delicious food and spending time with my family, I love getting to dress up during the holidays. With Thanksgiving just next week, most of us will be seeing our family virtually, but that doesn’t mean we can’t still look cute over Zoom. Here are four ways to make a statement:

Textured Tops 

From fringe to fuzz, there are so many fun fabrics you can use. These fabrics add dimension and definitely pop on camera. Pictured below is a fringe cardigan and a furry top. Both examples are statement pieces that can be lightly accessorized, but still stand out. Also, textured tops can be easily paired with your favorite black yoga pants. While a little bit basic, wearing yoga pants is brilliant because you can eat all you want without feeling uncomfortable, and you’ll still look cute on camera. 

Bright Colors

When you wear a color that compliments your skin tone, you appear more radiant and confident. Therefore, make a bold impression this Thanksgiving by wearing a bright color. The bright pink and green dresses below make me feel happy, so I’m always excited to wear them. Whether your color is blue, pink, yellow, or green, it’s all about how you feel in it. Part of making a fashion statement is not only the clothes you wear, but also how you present yourself. Brighten your family’s Thanksgiving as a colorful spot of happiness!

Matching Sweater and Cami Sets

This fall trend is perfect for this Thanksgiving! Matching sets not only show off that you have been keeping up with the latest fashion, but the coordination makes you look put together and stylish for your Zoom dinner. I have a green set and a pink set. I have worn my green set to multiple Zoom meetings, and I’m always complimented because of how it shows up on camera. Even if you don’t have an exact matching set, you can pull similar colors together and create an adorable monochromatic look. 

Fun Collars

Since the upper body is pretty much all you can see on Zoom, you can highlight your neckline with a fun collar. It can be as simple as a white collared shirt or a lace lined top. This option creates a classy, more sophisticated look. The examples below utilize ribbon, lace, and gems, but there is so much more variety when it comes to collars. Find what fits your personality the most, and bring attention to your beautiful face.

Statement Headbands

Channel your inner Blair Waldorf and top a look off with a statement headband. It is so easy to find a headband with some pearls, jewels, sparkles, or a fun pattern. They are everywhere from Claire’s to Five Below to Target! A statement headband can go with any of the options mentioned above and add some extra flair. Even if you wear a basic top, a headband can spice up a simple choice and still make you look super chic. Whether you style your hair or leave it out, a headband is an easy solution to any fashion dilemma. 

Just because we are in quarantine does not mean we have to look dull! There are still ways to look cute for our families and ourselves this holiday season. In the end, fashion is all about what makes us feel like the best version of ourselves. So, while you look through your closet for your holiday dinner outfit, remember, loving and taking care of yourself is always the best trend. 

BriannaRose is a UCLA Communications major and Film/TV minor who aspires to break boundaries and stigmas. As an aspiring creative director and editorial writer, she works on student films and photography projects, and has professional experience in entertainment and fashion journalism, fashion public relations and internal communications for cable. In addition to writing, BriannaRose volunteers at local animal shelters, competes in pageants, and is always excited to read a contemporary romance novel.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.