Life > Academics

Tell Us Your Major, And We’ll Give You A New Study Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Let’s be honest: at some point in college, everyone reaches their breaking point with “lofi hip hop radio – beats to relax/study to.” Sometimes the basic instrumentals don’t cut it, and you need a unique study playlist that matches your major’s vibe. We’ve curated seven apt (and hilarious) Spotify playlists that boil popular college majors down to their core traits. Whether you’re a theater major craving show tunes to get you in the performance mood or an econ major looking for some #girlboss motivation, we’ve got you covered:

PoliSci

If you’re a polisci major, here’s a playlist for you to listen to while you make your way through those essays and readings. This track list has iconic and satirical protest songs like “American Idiot” that you can relate to and sing along to with your study group friends. Also, when your endless internship search or essay-writing is looking rough, Beyonce’s “Who Run the World (Girls)” is sure to hype you up!

Pre-med

Hats off to all of the STEM girlies on the pre-med track! We’ve created a playlist for you full of relevant anatomical bops. Tracks like “Body,” by Megan thee Stallion, “Hands” by Mac Miller and “Toes” by Glass Animals will subliminally help you prep for your physiology finals. Then songs like “Doctor, Doctor” will give you the shot of inspiration you need to power through the rest of your med school prereqs.

Theater, Film and Television

If you’re a TFT major, we know that you went through a Hamilton stage. No shame! We’ve collected some of the best Broadway classics (we’re talking Les Mis, Wicked, the list goes on!) into one playlist to catalyze your creativity while you write plays and design stage sets. Who knows, your own musical’s cast recording might make it on this playlist one day!

BusEcon

BusEcon majors, we know that money is all you think about. Just kidding… but this econ-themed playlist can remind you of your future reward (money) while you draw those demand and supply curves. Plus, these songs are from some of the top girl bosses themselves—Destiny’s Child, Cardi B and Doja Cat. So, give it a listen, and imagine that green, green, green!

Communications

Comm is all about networking, and the best way to connect is through honest conversations. Songs like “Talk that Talk” by TWICE are great for conversational inspiration, or you might listen to “The News” by Paramore if you’re feeling like an aspiring journalist. For those rougher days (that often come during finals’ season), you can even tune into “We Don’t Talk Anymore” by Charlie Puth.

English

If you’re an English major who loves the classics, then songs like “Wuthering Heights” by Kate Bush or “Ophelia” by The Lumineers might appeal to your literary sensibilities. And if your favorite kind of beat is beat poetry, check out “Hey Jack Kerouac’ by 10,000 Maniacs to feel the vibe of the iconic literary subculture. Then for all the English majors staring at an empty Google Doc right now, “Unwritten” by Natasha Bedingfield is an absolute must-play.

Computer Science

We know you don’t have time to introduce yourself to new music while you work on your fifth Eggert project of the quarter. So, we’ll just link you to popular Spotify playlists with familiar favorites that will hopefully encourage healthy habits like working out (or showering)! Go forth and break those CS stereotypes!

Who says studying can’t be fun? Brighten up your next trip to Powell or YRL with these curated playlists bumping through your AirPods. When the end of the quarter gets hectic and academic pressure rises, it’s always good to remind yourself not to treat finals’ season as life or death. So, embrace your major’s quirks and indulge in some kitschy bops! You’ve got this!

Rio is a third-year UCLA business economics student from Japan. In her free time, you can find her hiking, dancing away at concerts, or cafe-hopping!
Elyse is a San Francisco native and third-year majoring in Linguistics and Computer Science at UCLA. Ask her about herself so she can tell you way too much!