Television 2013: What Will be Missed and What to Look Forward to

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

The CW cancels “90210”

Having watched “90210” since season one I was so disappointed to hear on Friday that the CW’s spin-off of the ‘90s classic, “Beverly Hills, 90210,” will end its five year run this May. The series finale (which will feature a guest appearance from Michael Jackson’s son, Prince) will air May 13th, ending season five and concluding the SoCal-based drama. Viewer ratings have steadily decreased since the show’s inception in 2008: according to The Hollywood Reporter, the February 18th episode dropped to an all time low for the series with only 550,000 viewers tuning in. The CW network’s president, Mark Pedowitz, has released a statement: “The CW has had five great seasons with America’s favorite zip code, 90210. “I’d like to thank the talented cast, producers, and crew for all their hard work and dedication to the series. We are very proud of the West Beverly High alumni.” The cancellation of “90210”marks just one of the once-popular television shows which will be ending their run this year. Here is a look at the shows we have loved and will miss.

“30 Rock” (2006-2013)

The iconic NBC comedy is ending this year after seven seasons, having gained Tina Fey critical acclaim as an on-screen comedienne and placed Alec Baldwin among the names of televisions legends of comedy.

‘The Office’ (2005-2013)

Also leaving NBC is “The Office,” having lost its star, Steve Carell, two years ago as well as popular co-stars, B.J. Novak and Mindy Kaling more recently. The mockumentary-style classic will be missed dearly from our screens but keep your fingers crossed, Office fans, talks are in the works for a potential spin-off show starring audience favorite, Dwight (played by Rainn Wilson).

‘Gossip Girl’ (2007-2013)

A hallmark of The CW and a favorite for among fashionistas, the scandalous tales of our favorite Upper-East-siders will end this fall after its sixth season.

‘The Big C’ (2010-2013)

One of my personal favorites, Showtime’s cancer dramedy will be ending this year with four, hour long episodes to finish its run to the finish line. Here’s hoping Cathy, played by Laura Linney, gets a send-off that she deserves.

‘Jersey Shore’ (2009-2012)

After six seasons in just three years, it seems like “Jersey Shore” has always been a feature of popular culture. This fall the MTV most-watch series of all time (yes, even more than “The Hills”) will GTL for the last time. No need to worry, you can still get your guido fix from Snooki and Jwoww, as thier spin-off has been renewed for another season.

Ending after just one season are ABC’s “Don’t Trust the B—– in Apartment B,” Fox’s “Ben & Kate,” and The CW’s “Emily Owens, MD,” which have been cancelled due to low and decreasing ratings despite great writing and original ideas. Sad about your favorite show getting cancelled? HerCampus can find you a new fix to fill your small screen! Here is a look at Hollywood’s most buzzed about shows which are in the works:

“Super Fun Night” is about three nerdy female friends, including “Bridesmaids” and “Pitch Perfect” alum, Rebel Wilson, who set out to make every Friday night “super fun.” Also set to star Kevin Bishop and Lauren Ash.

Lucky 7” is an adaptation of British drama “The Syndicate” and produced by Steven Spielberg. The drama is about seven employees of a service station in Queens who win the lottery. ABC Studios, Amblin TV.

“S.H.I.E.L.D” is based on Marvel Comics’ secret intelligence organization, which has featured in blockbusters Iron Man, Captain America and The Ultimates. ABC Studios, Marvel TV.

Bad Teacher,” based on the film starring Cameron Diaz, Justin Timberlake and Jason Segel, “Bad Teacher” is about a sexy, foul-mouthed divorcee who becomes a teacher to find her next husband. The show will star Ari Graynor (Fringe), Ryan Hansen (Veronica Mars) and David Alan Grier. Sony Pictures Television, Mosiac.

Crazy ones” is a father-daughter comedy set in the advertising world, helmed by an amazing cast including Sarah Michelle Gellar and Robin Williams, who will make his long-awaited return to television. 20th Television.

“Friends With Better Lives,” from the makers of “Friends, is a grass is always greener story about a group of thirtysomething friends who each think the other has it better. James Van Der Beek stars. 20th Television, Kapital Entertainment.

As for The CW, “Arrow,” “Supernatural” and “The Vampire Diaries” have been renewed, so you can look forward to more episodes of those this fall. With all of this to look forward to, Naomi and the gang from West Bev will not be missed for too long.

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.