Summer 2013: Start Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

With spring quarter about to kick-off, many of us are already thinking about summer plans. Well, aside from the obvious beach and pool days, tanning, and going out, UCLA students definitely make the most of their summers. From summer school, to traveling, volunteering, or working, here are some tips to start planning now!

Summer School: UCLA offers two summer sessions: the first six weeks (Session A) and the last six weeks (Session C). Registration is already open, so for all the last minute stragglers, sign up before spots are full! In the worst case, they’re pretty lenient about dropping courses. Summer sessions definitely have their advantages: classes are only six weeks long compared to the usual 10 (which usually means that professors cut down the material), and you’re probably only going to take one class a session (allowing plenty of time to actually have a summer). But, to every upside there’s a catch. The 6-week session means that material will be crammed; even if there’s less of it, you probably will feel swamped with work at certain times. And, classes will meet more often (especially for language intensive programs and dense math and sciences).

Traveling: If you’ve been wanting to get out of LA and travel, this summer is the time to do it. Why wait? Classes only get harder and if you’re not prowling for work or an internship this summer, you’re in luck. Whether it’s a cross-country roadtrip or a Eurotrip, go for it! Just a suggestion though: if you are doing Europe, try to schedule your visit for sometime in September. The weather isn’t as hot and a lot of younger kids (including families with kids) will be back in school, so touristy areas won’t be as packed. If you’re too lazy to plan, try a pre-planned trip! They allow you to choose the trip duration, location, and your budget…and the trip of a lifetime is ready to book. Here’s the link: http://www.efcollegebreak.com/

Volunteering: No matter what your major is, volunteering is a great way to polish off your resume. Aside from your numerous extracurricular activities, it will show future graduate programs and job positions that you are willing to help the community by doing something you enjoy! Here are a few tips for volunteering that will fit your interests. Pre-Meds: how about volunteering at a hospital or at a research lab on campus. Econ/Accounting: there are services around Los Angeles that offer accounting services to underprivileged communities..a great way to increase experience and knowledge without having to take classes. Art/Music majors: many kids summer programs look for talented instructors and volunteers to help out with creative arts; be sure to check out schools and recreation centers. These are just to name a few, but the opportunities are truly endless.

Work/Internships: With UCLA students going home for the summer, many on-campus jobs have openings. Start looking now! This can include working front-desk at the dorms, around the various coffee shops on campus, at the gym, or even becoming a sports instructor through the Recreation Center. There’s no need to stop on-campus though…Westwood has plenty of jobs just waiting for your resume. From the clothing stores, to restaurants, convenience stores, and tutoring centers, all you have to do is stop by and pick up an application! If you’re looking for a job or internship more related to your major/specialty, check out the “Internship” feature on MyUCLA or websites such as InternMatch and InternSushi. If you really can’t find an internship, try Google-ing your favorite companies (Victoria’s Secret, Nike, etc) to see if they offer summer internships in various departments.

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.