Study Abroad Tips Before Getting On The Plane

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Let me be the first to say: congrats! By moving to a new country, you are adding a gem to the charm bracelet of your life. Your base city becomes a beloved friend, and you’ll develop priceless memories, from laughter in the shade of monuments to gelato running down your fingers in the summer heat. Keep in mind that you are taking on an adventure. Things go wrong, luggage gets lost, and a wallet may be stolen, but every tired moment in an airport is overshadowed by the joy of seeing the world. Here are a few big sister tips before you study abroad:

Make an effort to Embrace the culture

I’ll never forget when I attended an Opera in Florence. Our heels echoed on a dimly lit cobblestone street as we pushed open the doors of a church built 500 years ago. Under painted ceilings we listened to an Italian Opera singer in awe. Perhaps you never pictured yourself watching an opera, flamenco dancing, sealing a red envelope, or buying a mask for Carnival. Take the opportunity to dip your toe into a new culture. Although you might think this is a no-brainer, it’s easy to cling to your home university once abroad. Keep an open mind and don’t hesitate to order the traditional meal, even if it’s haggis.

Plan ahead!

If your mom’s reminiscing about $20 excursions from her European 80s summer, let me be the first one to tell you, it’s no longer cheap to spontaneously travel. My homework assignment for you is to plan out your breaks within the first couple of weeks of getting settled. Scour Airbnb, HostelWorld, Kayak, Bus the Alps, and Skyscanner till you fill up your calendar. Don’t feel pressured to go abroad every weekend. I can guarantee that whatever base country you choose has countless marble landmarks, delicious restaurants, and stories waiting to be made. If you stay close to home, you will have less travel time and more money to spend.

Pack smart

If you’re sitting on your suitcase squeezing clothes into your checked bag, know this is pretty standard. My advice is to thoroughly research the weather in your base country. Don’t make my mistake of scrambling to buy wool gloves and long underwear during the first week abroad. Other necessities include travel-sized toiletries, international plugs, a portable charger, and a first aid kit for all scenarios. Lastly, create a sleeping survival kit (earplugs/melatonin/eye mask), because you never know when you might have to get some shut-eye on a train. Also, leave some spare space if you can; you’re going to buy some treasures out there, so if you think your bag’s zippers are going to pop, just wait until you catch your plane home.

Protect your valuables

A standard travel tip is to never pack your passport, medication, or any important personal items in a checked bag; there’s always a chance it could end up in a random airport in Germany. Also, never leave these items in a purse on a restaurant chair or mindlessly place your phone on a tabletop. Especially in Europe, keep your friends close but keep your personal items closer.

Be shoe smart

Trust me, you do not want to use study abroad as the moment to break in Doc Martens. Your step count will go up immensely, so buy the comfiest shoes you possibly can, even if you have to slip the cute shoes into a tote bag and change.

Lastly, get excited! This is the adventure of a lifetime, and you are going to come home with countless stories to tell and memories you’ll hold forever.

Eden is a third year communications major at UCLA, from Haleiwa, Hawaii. She loves throwing herself into creative projects, whether that's upcycling thrift store finds or doodling in her sketchbook. You can find her exploring new bookstores and rolling out a yoga mat in her free time.