Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Stop Overspending & Use These 4 Tips To Save For Dates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Let’s be real, dates can be really expensive. On top of that, you and your partner might want to go on multiple dates, but when they get to be really expensive, the reality is that you might not be able to. However, here are four things that you can do so that you and your partner can go on more dates while also spending less money this Valentine’s Day season.

Start Splitting The Cost Of All Dates

Recently, at least that I have seen, the idea of splitting the cost of dates is becoming more popular. Although your partner may want to, as they say, “treat you,” they also have other things to pay for outside of the date. It shouldn’t be the responsibility of just one partner to shoulder the cost of dates, so put your coin in too.

Stop Taking An Uber/Lyft And Start Using Public Transportation

On your phone, Google maps has a setting where they will give you the exact bus and train routes that you need to take to get to a certain place. They will even give you a couple different alternates so you can choose which route you would like to take. With the Bruin Tap Card, the Big Blue Bus is only $0.70 ($1.50 without) and the LA Metro is $1.75. On our first date, my partner and I took the bus and a train to get to the Natural History Museum and we were able to spend so much time together because of it.

Go To Places With Cheap Or Free Admissions Costs

On that same first date to the museum, we presented our Bruincards and bought student priced tickets for $12 each. Also, you can go to the Getty Museum and The Hammer for free! If you really start looking into places that you and your partner might want to go to, they often have student discount prices or even free admission.

Spend The Night In

I know! That sounds so weird! What I am trying to say is, instead, have a date night where you stay in. Some of me and my partner’s first dates were spent inside, on campus, watching a movie and eating a De Neve pizza. Only two swipes were spent for the entire date. Now that saves a lot of money! Plus, we had a lot of fun watching Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse while being in our PJ’s.

Overall, just because dates are “cheap” doesn’t mean that they can’t be fun. You should be having amazing times and making great memories with your partner regardless of whether the date is an elaborate or fancy event. Anything can be a date if you make it one.

Genessee (Gen-eh-see) is a second year, non-transfer senior majoring in English at UCLA. During her free time she loves to read, write, and dance. Currently she is a feature writer with HerCampus UCLA, writer for the UCLA VDay Coalition, and treasurer of Grupo Folklórico de UCLA. You can contact Genessee at genfloressantos@gmail.com