FA1BD4DC9D48C461758611ABCF4ED11Bdraft 96dpipng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
FA1BD4DC9D48C461758611ABCF4ED11Bdraft 96dpipng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Sofia Gonzalez
Style > Beauty

A Step-by-Step Makeup Look That Will Have You Sleigh Your Holiday Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.
Camina Balmores is a UCLA student and self-taught makeup artist who showcases her best looks on her friends and fellow students at UCLA. As one who loves bare beauty and a natural look, her specialty is creating full glam looks fitting for any occasion. Her Campus at UCLA chats with Camina to discuss her love for makeup and her step-by-step guide on how to receive the perfect, holiday party look.

Makeup Artist: Camina Balmores

Year: 3rd year

Major: Physiology

Home state: New Jersey

Her Campus: What inspired your love for makeup?

Camina Balmores: In terms of beauty, it started with doing my nails when I was in 5th or 6th grade because I was not allowed to wear makeup yet. I was super into colors and designs at the time, and then when I was finally allowed to start wearing makeup, that’s when my love for makeup really started. I was always watching YouTube videos and makeup tutorials, and that’s how I pretty much learned how to do it on my own.

HC: Who are your favorite makeup artists that you get your inspiration from?

CB: A big name that people know is NikkieTutorials. I watch her YouTube videos all the time. She does her own thing and it’s so different from what other people are doing. I also like this artist named Casey Holmes. And there is a smaller artist from the U.K. who is the queen of cut creases. Her handle is @lsgmakeup on Instagram. I got all my inspo from cut creases from her.

HC: What’s your goal with makeup?

CB: I do not know if I have a set goal. My goal last year was to post more on my page, possibly get noticed and end up on a PR list. But then school got so busy, so I have not been too active on my page. But I would say in the future, I want it to be my side hustle. Because I think that makeup is my only form of creativity and art that I’m actually good at. Plus, it’s just so fun for me!

HC: Describe your favorite makeup look you have done.

CB: Okay, I am tied between two. If you ever see me on a regular day, I am never wearing makeup. I love to be natural most of the time. But if there is a special occasion, I most likely will do a full glam…especially for the holidays. So last year I went full glam for the holidays: eyebrows done, with a halo eye. It was a trend going around at the time. I used greens and golds and was wearing a green bodysuit. There is this other one last year where I did something really different and went natural on my brows and carved it out with concealer, and finished with a red wing liner. Kind of like a soft glam, with a bold lip. It turned out really good and was definitely not expecting how well it was going to turn out.

HC: What is the best way for girls to contact you for bookings?

CB: My makeup page @makeupbycamina on Instagram. There is where I have my email linked to contact me. You can DM me too.

Holiday Makeup Look:

Step 1: Begin with a moisturized face. 

Step 2: Start with filling in the eyebrows. Carve eyebrows out with concealer from underneath the brow arch.

Step 3: Pack on a brown shade on the lid, following with a maroon toned pink to blend out the crease.

Step 4: Carve out the center of the lid with concealer so the next shadow color is more prominent.

Step 5: Pack on a bronze/gold. Follow up with blending strokes with a blending brush.

Step 6: Top off with gold glitter.

Step 7: Line the top lash with black eyeshadow to mimic a “liner” effect.

Step 8: Spray the base of the face with primer water to prepare the face for foundation.

Step 9: Use the desired foundation with a blending brush. Follow with concealer to touch up any needed discoloration or problem areas.

Step 10: Use a translucent powder underneath the eyes, then later sweep away the excess powder.

Step 11: Highlight the point of the face: forehead, bridge of the nose, and chin to highlight the face with concealer.

Step 12: Finish with a setting powder all over the face.

Step 13: Use a gold highlighter to highlight the high points of the face: cupid’s bow, cheekbones, and bridge of the nose.

Step 14: Use bronzer to contour the face in 3-dimensional shape.

Step 15: Use a warm-toned blush to put on the cheeks.

Step 16: Moisturize lips with lip balm or lip oil. Use a precise brush to line and fill the lips with a cranberry toned lip liner.

Step 17: Curl lashes. Put on desired mascara and/or eyelash extensions.

Step 18: Set face makeup with setting spray.

Thank you to Camina Balmores for showing us how to achieve the perfect party look for the holidays! Follow her IG: @makeupbycamina for bookings.
Rebecca (also goes by Bec and Becca) is an English major at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), and an Assistant Editorial Director and writer for HC at UCLA. In her free time, she loves a strong oat milk latte at a local LA coffee shop, catching the sunset at the beach and hunting for the perfect breakfast burrito.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.