Squid Game’s Dalgona Challenge Is The New Obsession Of The Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

This article includes spoilers.

Netflix’s new series Squid Game is the talk of the town and has the whole world on their toes! The series was released on September 17, 2021, and has become the number one show on Netflix in many countries. The show is about 456 players who are innocently lured to play games for money. However, the show takes an immediate twist after the first episode where the first game, “Red Light, Green Light”, is played. Despite the players being put to play childish games, they are not the same games we used to play as a child. The players are people whose lives are dreadful and filled with pain due to their massive amounts of debt. These aren’t just debts that can be paid off by working, they require an insane amount of money and only a miracle could save them. This is what these games would give them, a prize of $38.6 million USD. It is a thriller, filled with lots of suspense, just what we needed to start the spooky season!

While all the games are interesting to watch, the one that’s buzzing on social media is the Dalgona Challenge, a traditional honeycomb snack. Now, you have all most likely heard of the Dalgona Challenge by now. For those who haven’t, it is a challenge that requires the players to carve out shapes of a triangle, umbrella, star, or circle on the dalgona candy without breaking it. If you break it, you’re eliminated. It’s the second game of the series, episode three: “The Man with the Umbrella”, and it managed to catch the attention of everyone. The challenge is the new sensation that is rocking on social media, especially TikTok. 

The game has become a trend on TikTok, where people film themselves doing this challenge with the hashtag #DalgonaCandy. The rules are the same as in the show: carve out the shape in less than ten minutes while maintaining the shape. I can’t tell you how many people I have seen doing this trend on my For You page because it’s too many to keep count! Overall, it’s a fun activity, unlike in the series where it’s a life or death situation. Personally, I have not had time to do this challenge, with transitioning back to in-person classes and figuring out my schedule, but if I did I would have probably done it with my sister and made a bet to make it more interesting. 

The good thing about this candy is that it’s easy and fast to make in less than ten minutes. The activity will test your carving skills and how you work under pressure. For those who want to try it out here is the recipe!

• 1 tablespoon of sugar
  • 1 chopstick/ wooden stick
  • 1 pinch of baking soda
  • Parchment paper/sheets
  • Cookie cutters

Step 1

Turn on the stove to the lowest heat or else the candy will burn in the process. Add one tablespoon of sugar and stir with a chopstick/wooden stick until the sugar has melted.

Step 2

Once it has melted, add a pinch of baking soda and continue stirring until it turns into a caramel color.

Step 3

Lastly, pour it on top of the parchment paper making sure that it’s in one place so it forms into a circle. Before it gets hard, make sure to lightly put any cookie cutter on top of the candy, without pressing too hard, so your shape can form. Now you are all set for the challenge, just make sure to start a ten-minute timer and have fun!

This series had me hooked to my phone to the point where I was staying up late at night and watching the show while commuting to school just to know what happened next. It was intense and it did not disappoint. The show is a must-watch! I promise it will have you hooked onto your screen from the start.

Maria Alfaro is a fourth year student at UCLA majoring in Sociology and minoring in Spanish. She joined HerCampus at UCLA in 2021 and ever since has been able to do what she enjoys; write and share her stories with everyone. Her love for journalism grows with each story she gets to write. She loves to meet new people and learn new things. In her free time you can find her exploring the city of LA, dancing, binge-watching, blogging or relaxing.