Spot the Difference: Free Therapy And “The Great British Bake Off”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

If there’s one thing we can all agree on, it’s that December is a stressful month. I mean, hello, there’s a reason why Capricorns are tasked with carrying out the last ten days of the year. Between finals and the holiday season in full swing, there is barely enough time to get everything done, let alone think (which is probably for the best). I, like many, tend to be weary of entertaining those pesky end-of-year existential thoughts, and what better way to curb them than a little mindless television? Or rather, what better than The Great British Bake Off?

I would say that I rediscovered Bake Off, but I’d rather believe it rediscovered me, and at the perfect time, I might add: stressed, tired, and in dire need of a bingeable show. But, not just any binge-worthy show. I needed one that A) did not require too much cognitive function, B) would not leave me more anxious than I already am, and C) is still entertaining. So, when The Great British Bake Off made its grand debut on my Netflix page, I thought why not download a few episodes for my upcoming flight? Even just halfway into the first episode, it was as if the college stress hardwired into my brain was melting away like frosting piped onto un-cooled cakes. It was electric. 

For the last few weeks, I have been conducting careful analytical research – binging Bake Off – to crack the code of why this show feels like the best hug you have ever and will ever receive. Beyond the ever-charming UK accents, which account for a significant amount of the comfort derived from this show, I think it ultimately boils down to the tangibly warm environment, the charmingly cheeky cast members, and the hilariously bad jokes.

What I have determined to be the catalyst of the inviting and tranquil environment of Bake Off, is the tent and the way it’s nestled into that sprawling lawn in the English countryside. Imagine walking along the grounds of a beautiful Berkshire estate and stumbling across a luxurious white tent housing the most lovable bakers and their delectable creations – I’d like to think that heaven much resembles that imagery. Beyond the picturesque scenery, there is of course the indescribable sense of warmth that envelopes your screen once you enter the tent, and no, it’s not because of the twelve industrial ovens. I attribute the vast majority of this warmth to the people in the tent, particularly the twelve bakers. Somehow, it seems like the contestant criteria is geared more towards being one of the UK’s most upstanding citizens rather than being one of their best bakers, but I’m not complaining. Every supportive word, encouraging smile, and reassuring embrace that they exchange gives me hope for the current state of humanity. And whatever you do, do not get me started on how the bakers help each other when they’re running out of time or I’ll start to get emotional. 

While the contestants themselves are “proper” angels, what really makes the show are the laugh-out-loud worthy interactions between the hosts, judges, and contestants. Half of the Bake Off experience is dependent on whether or not you’re in the know; a Bake Off first-timer may not appreciate a good old fashioned “soggy bottom” joke, but once you start to pick up the lore, the inside jokes, the dad humor, and the occasional innuendo will never miss. Even though I question the level of my comedic sophistication every time I audibly cackle at the low-hanging fruit, it’s worth it for that dopamine surge. The hosts, Allison Hammond and Noel Fielding, do most of the heavy lifting when it comes to not only cracking the contestants’ shells but also humbling the judges. One thing about Allison and Noel is that they’re going to keep Paul Hollywood’s ego in check during bread week and make sure Prue Leith’s desserts are extra boozy. When all’s said and done, Bake Off is just as much of a comedy as it is a baking show, which is what makes it so contagiously silly.

After discarding the television of my youth and moving on to more provocative and challenging media, I, like many, found myself exactly where I started. Bake Off is the epitome of that full circle moment, as its main appeal is exactly what we thought we outgrew: gentleness. In my experience, ending your day with a classic dad joke and some delicious British accents does more good than you’d ever expect. Even if baking shows aren’t typically your cup of English breakfast tea, the next time you find yourself sad, mad, or anything in between, it might just be the perfect prescription. After all, The Great British Bake Off is living proof that “just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.” 

Ellie is a second-year Global Studies major at UCLA, from Charlotte, NC. Her favorite author is Sally Rooney, and she loves re-reading books, playing field hockey, cooking for friends, and photographing them on her camera. In the summer, you can find her in downtown Manhattan peeking into a vintage store or writing in a coffee shop.