This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I was never really that into tattoos and growing up, my parents always spoke really negatively about them. They said I would regret having tattoos when I got older and my skin got more wrinkled. It was kind of a silly reason to swear off tattoos, but I believed my parents for a long time until I was 18. I started wanting a tattoo because I realized that they had meaning. It was more than just permanent ink on your skin; it was memorable art.

Celina Timmerman-Overalls Tattoos And Stripes
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus

Being a cancer survivor, I really wanted to do something to celebrate my achievement and honor those who were still battling cancer. Therefore, my first tattoo reads out “Hope” with a ribbon for the “o” on my ankle. The ribbon is lavender for Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, the type of cancer I battled. It took me a long time to pick out the design, but I ultimately decided on “hope” because hope was all I had at the time when I was fighting cancer. I was constantly hoping that my life would get better. I still sometimes look at my tattoo whenever I am going through a hard time to remind myself that it will get better.

Hope Tattoo
Caitlyn Somers

I got my other tattooo last winter break. For about two years now, I have been struggling with severe depression and self-harm. I always hated to admit that I was having a hard time, so I hid my cuts and emotional baggage from almost everyone. I was ashamed that I had cut myself and worried that people would notice and think differently of me. I decided to get a tattoo that said “F;ghter” on my wrist where I used to cut myself. Now every time I feel like hurting myself, I can look down at my wrist and have a reminder that I am strong and can fight the urges. I put the semi-colon for the “i” in honor of suicide awareness.

Fighter Tattoo
Caitlyn Somers

My tattoos are so special to me and I do not regret them one bit. I am not planning on getting any more tattoos at the moment, but if I come up with something significant I will definitely get it tattooed. Personally, I think people’s tattoos should mean something to them. Tattoos are a great way to acknowledge life-changing events or just something important to you.

Caitlyn studied at UCLA where she majored in English and minored in film. She loves writing about all things lifestyle and entertainment related. When she is not writing articles, she loves going to hot yoga, reading, and binge-watching One Tree Hill for the hundredth time!
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.