Style > Decor

So You Moved Into An Apartment- Now To Keep It Clean

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

It’s really only been a couple weeks since school has started, but I already feel so overwhelmed! From schoolwork to cooking to extracurriculars, it feels like this year, when cleaning is even more important, it has already been pushed to the side. However, I am absolutely determined to make cleaning a priority, because when I’m surrounded by a mess, I am more likely to feel anxious. To keep my space clean, I am planning to follow this weekly schedule.  

Sunday: The Bedroom

To start off the week, I plan to focus on cleaning my bedroom.  

Since I spend the most time in my bedroom, a lot of clutter seems to just spread itself out over everything. From tossing clothes on the floor, my desk chair and my bed to skipping making my bed for days in a row, I know my bedroom can be a bit of a mess by the end of the week.

To combat the unfortunate mess I face by Sunday mornings, I spend the day cleaning up the bedroom. For starters, I do my laundry and hang up those clean items that I rejected while picking out outfits during the week. Additionally, I fold all the throw blankets I keep around and return them to their rightful spots. I also put my shoes back on the shelf and organize the desk clutter to make sure there’s ample space for Zoom classes during the week. Finally, I sweep the floor to keep it sparkling clean.

Tuesday: The Kitchen

Since Mondays are always rough, and I have fewer classes on Tuesdays, I like to give myself a break on Mondays and return to my cleaning schedule on Tuesdays.  

On Tuesdays, I focus on the kitchen. My roommates and I are pretty careful to clean the kitchen as we use it, but I spend Tuesdays to make sure that the area stays clean and sanitized.  

If there are any dishes in the sink, I wash them and put them away to make sure they’re out of the way. I also clean the sink to make sure all bacteria is washed away. Then, I wipe down counters, the kitchen table and the stove. Finally, I clean the floors in the kitchen and under the dining table to make sure everything feels spic and span for the rest of the week.

Thursday: The Bathroom

Unfortunately, Wednesdays are always my busiest day between class and extracurriculars, so I know that I will be able to dedicate more time to cleaning on Thursdays.  Every Thursday, I make time to clean the bathroom.  

Honestly, I have the most time during the week on Thursdays during the day.  However, I do not like cleaning the bathroom, so that’s why I want to give myself ample time.  My roommate and I share a bathroom between the two of us, so we plan to work together to keep the bathroom clean during the week.

When I have the time to clean it, I will start by organizing and cleaning my half of the sink and space to make sure I clean everything that’s needed.  Before I do anything else, I clean the toilet with toilet bowl cleaner and leave it until everything else is done.  I then wipe down the counter around the sink and clean the mirror.  Next, I clean down the shower and tub with a specified bathroom cleaner and scrub it.  Finally, I finish by cleaning the floor!  

Friday/Saturday

Since it’s the end of the week, I know that between my roommates and myself, we may have created a bit of a mess in the living space. Luckily, since we don’t have too much furniture there, it isn’t too difficult to clean.  

I start by simply taking out the trash and recycling. I also make sure to sweep the common area’s floor and water all the plants around our apartment. I then dust the TV and clean the remotes and TV stand. Lastly, I take a quick look around to see if anything else needs to be put away!

While it is a lot to clean a whole apartment, breaking it up by day makes cleaning it feel much easier throughout the week! This cleaning schedule also gives me one more thing to check off my to-do list as we go through the week! During the pandemic, it feels even more important to stay clean and safe, so I love being able to stay organized within my little bubble.

Alyssa Chew is a fourth-year Electrical Engineering major at UCLA. She is excited to be a Features Writer for Her Campus at UCLA and to get involved and explore Los Angeles. Alyssa hopes you enjoy reading her articles!
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.