IMG 9843jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
IMG 9843jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
The Skoll Center for Social Impact Entertainment

The Skoll Center Inspires Social Change By Hosting “Financing Social Impact Entertainment” With The Producers Guild of America

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

On September 21st, the Skoll Center for Social Impact Entertainment at UCLA TFT hosted “Financing Social Impact Entertainment,” an event in collaboration with the Producers Guild of America! Held right on campus at the Fowler Museum, the exciting morning was packed with panel discussions centered around financing social impact projects in documentary, narrative film, TV and more. With over 200 attendees, guests were treated with an inside look at taking social impact projects to the next level. 

The panels, moderated by Simon Kilmurry (International Documentary Association) and Anne Marie Gillen (Co-founder of the PGA’s Social Impact Entertainment Task Force), covered a variety of topics including nonprofits, grants, public-private partnerships and tax incentives. The panelists consisted of a vast array of impressive figures in the entertainment industry, such as Ilan Arboleda (Creative Chaos; Thank You For Your Service, This Changes Everything), Kevin Iwashina (Endeavor Content; Jiro Dreams of Sushi, Chef’s Table) and Elaine Chin (SVP Narrative Film at Participant Media). After each panel, guests had the chance to engage with the panelists, asking questions and engaging in further conversations. 

“Financing Social Impact Entertainment” offered a unique opportunity to learn more about the landscape of social impact entertainment and how to acquire financing sources. Guests were delighted by the informative event, and were even able to enjoy a time of networking! Thank you so much for inviting us!  

Never heard about the Skoll Center or “SIE” ~ Social Impact Entertainment? The Skoll Center for Social Impact Entertainment at the UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television is a terrific resource that aims to advance the role of entertainment and performing arts, inspiring social change. Find out more on their website and Instagram! Interested in connecting with the Center? Send an email to skollcenter@ucla.tft.edu. The Skoll Center sponsored a panel at the recent, 11th annual Produced by Conference! Check out the article here

Renée is an alumna at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) and served as the HCUCLA Editor in Chief and one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2019-2020 school year. She is passionate about storytelling and pushing for more Asian American representation in fashion and entertainment.