biden
biden
HCM Design
Culture > News

Senator Kirsten Gillibrand Wants Young Women To Go For What They Want And, Most Importantly, To Vote

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

This past Thursday, HC UCLA had the chance to attend an exclusive virtual press conference hosted by Her Campus with Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, NY. Kirsten shared her thoughts on young people voting in this election and shared salient advice to women seeking a job in politics or any industry. 

biden
HCM Design

The Importance Of Voting:

Senator Gillibrand emphasized that the most important thing that young people can do right now is to vote! She stated, “If young college-age women don’t vote, then those who get elected won’t actually represent our values.” 

Some of the issues that Gillibrand stands for are universal healthcare, reproductive rights, decriminalizing marijuana and implementing maternal mortality protections, which she stated is disproportionately higher for Black women. However, she believes that to push forward this type of legislation, we need to elect a new senate and a new president otherwise “a lot of the structural change that I am certainly looking for won’t be possible…” 

biden
HCM Design
This year, many Americans have been more attuned to the racial injustices in our country. Senator Gillibrand stated that institutionalized racism “is real” and will take time to eliminate, but can be achieved issue-by-issue. One of the ideas that she advocated to tackle this issue during her run as a presidential candidate, is using the SPA and other lending programs to fund business ideas from marginalized communities, giving more access capital to women, people of color and small businesses. She states that Presidential nominee Joe Biden also supports this idea. She adds that Jose Biden has adopted other ideas that she stood for and this shows that the Biden-Harris administration is a team that wishes to push towards a collective good. 

When asked what other forms of activism young people should do besides voting, Gillibrand replied that voting is one of the most important ways to be heard and to, “Make sure everyone they know and love has a plan to vote, make sure your family has a plan to vote. Get in arguments, if you have relatives that are supporting the president you might want to question them about why and provide your own view… it’s our country, it’s your future, it’s our democracy that’s at stake.” 

The future is female
Photo by Lindsey LaMont from Unsplash

Advice For Women In Politics:

In nearly every industry, as women, we often doubt our accomplishments or undermine our capabilities. Personally, I did not apply to many opportunities because I felt that I had my lack of experience or that I was simply not smart enough to thrive in the position, so I didn’t even apply. However, Senator Gillibrand’s advice to women is to “Believe in yourself.” She adds, “You are smart enough, tough enough, and capable enough for every job you want to do.”

When it comes to running for office, she believes that women don’t need to run for smaller positions in politics before they go after the position that they truly want. Instead, she advises to run based on issues that matter most to you and what changes you want to accomplish as a public servant. She stated, “Don’t say oh, I don’t have enough experience for that, oh, I might have to do something else first. The guys don’t do that, they just run for the thing they want, so run for the thing you want!” 

She spoke about how many of the issues that are important to women such as Paid Family Leave do not gain as much coverage as other issues because political journalism is a male-dominated industry, which is confirmed by Pew Research Center. She also encouraged young many to get involved in this field to tell the stories that matter to them, since some of the best articles that she read has were written by women.

sign that says "voting day" with I voted stickers next to it
Photo by Element5 Digital from Pexels

This advice was so inspiring to us! If you do not register to vote online, there is still time to vote on Election Day! Voting is easy and convenient using iwillvote.com, as it offers a one-stop-shop for all your voting needs. So, get out there and vote so you can have a voice in the change that you wish to see in the years to come! 

Alexis Sanchez is a senior majoring in American Literature and Culture and minoring in Chican@/x Studies and is a Transfer Representative for HC at UCLA. She hopes to bring more marginalized perspectives into mainstream media.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.