nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Rydel Lynch, Chance Perdomo & More Talk Girl Power at the Red Carpet Premiere of ‘The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Last night, we were lucky enough to attend the red carpet premiere of Netflix’s new hit show, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. The stars graced us with their presence and chatted with us about the new take on the classic story of Sabrina Spellman. Made by the same creator as Riverdale, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina follows Sabrina and her family as they go through life and all of the spookiness that comes with being powerful witches. Filtered in with powerful witchcraft and all that it takes to try to be a normal person within a coven-filled world, is girl power.

Chance Perdomo, who plays pansexual character, Ambrose Spellman (Sabrina’s cousin), talked about his character and how the show is a representative of women in a very highly appreciated way: “Sabrina isn’t a damsel in distress waiting for Prince Charming to save her. If anything, Sabrina is saving the ‘Prince Charming’—she’s kicking ass, taking names.”

Rydel Lynch, who was at the carpet supporting her brother Ross in his role as Harvey, spoke to us about her own projects. She discussed girl power and what it means to her. She shared some advice for college women saying, “Work as hard as you possibly can and don’t compare yourself to what is going on around you.” Lachlan Watson, who plays Susie, also discussed the importance of femininity, as their character starts WICCA, which is a feminist group in the high school in the show. They discussed the girl power present in the show saying, “I think it’s absolutely incredible, and I love to have the opportunity to show what feminist means and how it can mean so much more than just women supporting women—it can be any affected group supporting one another and just this incredible, raw human connection.”

Annette Reilly, who plays Sabrina’s mom, also chatted with us about the show and her role within it. Of the girl power in the show, Reilly stated, “This has a lot of very strong female characters, and I am thrilled to be a part of that. Let’s just say there’s a bit of challenging the patriarchy.” When asked for advice for college women, Reilly said, “pursue what your passion is. Pursue your dreams. No matter what it takes, just stick to it. And your passion and your dreams can change, and that’s okay.”

Needless to say, this show is going to make a statement about women and the power they can have, witch or not. 

Check out the first season of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina when it drops on October 26th, only on Netflix. 

Emily is a graduate of UCLA and former Senior Editor of Her Campus at UCLA. During her free time, Emily loves to read, travel and binge-watch episodes of Gilmore Girls. She can be reached at emilylentz47@gmail.com.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.