Life > Experiences

Romanticizing The Ridiculed: Reclaiming The Divine Femininity Of The Young Adult Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Whenever a relative, employer or peer asks what show I’m watching or what music I listen to, I respond and brace for the impact of reaction: a trite laugh of predictability and subtle disregard. As a teenage, female-identifying individual, the value of my media interests ranks low amid the cultural zeitgeist. Having grown up under the constant (loving, joking) scrutiny of an older brother, I never questioned the social response to feminine interest as out of the ordinary, and I always laughed along, too, as my perspectives somehow became the butt of an unsaid joke. Now an adult, I have begun critically thinking about how this subtle disregard extends beyond simply my love of Gossip Girl and actually captures a central theme of the feminine experience. 

Based on the intersection of gender and age politics, young women and feminine people are demographically at the forefront of societal disesteem. Likely rooted in stereotypes of naivety, irrationality and incapability, the interests, opinions and accomplishments of young women are constantly trivialized. 

A glaring example of this dynamic can be seen in the online interaction of former United States President Donald Trump and teenage Swedish climate activist, Greta Thunberg. In response to Thunberg’s outcries for change in international environmental policies in 2019, Trump famously tweeted that she needed to “chill” and work on her “anger management.” Passion is interpreted as sensitivity and an emotional lack of control. Rather than being recognized for her unrelenting dedication, intelligence and leadership, Thunberg was treated as though she were an overactive child. If the protests had been led by an adult man, rather than a 17-year-old girl, we can only assume linguistic nature of Trump’s backlash would’ve been wildly different. Beyond the political ramifications of America’s climate response, this interaction reflects a general culture imposed upon young women.

From multinational politics to pop culture, this same sense of disregard remains constant. Young artists, such as Olivia Rodrigo, Tate McCrae and Taylor Swift, are discussed for their romantic relationships and tabloid presence, rather than the quality of their music. Moreover, trend following is deemed “basic” and ridiculous, with reusable straws, astrology and even certain clothing brands serving as criticized examples. The music, television shows, movies and fashion popularized by young feminine audiences are seen as only catering to that demographic, as opposed to holding universal value. Arguments are simply “girl drama” and those in (heteronormative) relationships are “boy crazy.” 

Essentially, our experiences, relationships and reactions are largely reduced to lacking legitimacy, either being ridiculed for originality or deemed silly for conformity. 

Not only does this standard encourage young women not to be taken seriously in the instances when it matters, it also completely ignores the unmatched beauty that springs from truly unimportant moments. The youthful feminine experience is filled to the brim with simultaneous value and triviality — divine girlhood is made up of the friendships, obsessions, adventures and creation of memories that are unique to this demographic. The unmatched emotional intensity of being “too emotional,” the sense of community found in being “basic” and the eager-to-learn obsession with the world of “naivety” are to be celebrated, not disregarded.

In the totality of their experiences, interests and ambitions, young women are a force to be reckoned with. So, be trivial, be silly, be unhindered, be divine. 

Claire Smith is an Orange County local studying Human Biology and Society at UCLA. Claire loves to read, try new coffee places, and spend time outdoors with friends.