matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Review: Rooftop Bar & Dinner Cruise on Hudson’s NYC at Pier 81

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

New York is famed for its amazing sightseeing spots. So during our visit for Her Conference, we knew that we had to visit some of the most popular tourist attractions, such as the Statue of Liberty. And through Hudson’s NYC at Pier 81, we had the opportunity to see the Statue of Liberty in the most spectacular way. Hudson’s guests are taken for a ride on a cruise ship that glides alongside the New York Harbor, to enjoy the gorgeous views of the city. As promised on their website, guests can “escape the chaos of the city, without escaping its beauty.” True to this statement, we were completely blown away by the experience. 

Hudson’s is located at Pier 81, West 41st Street, placing it in the prime location to get the best views of Manhattan. The 3-story cruise ship includes a full restaurant, two bars, and a live DJ. Dinner cruises take place every night from Tuesday through Sunday at 5 pm, while a special brunch cruise is offered on Sunday mornings. Each sail lasts approximately 2 hours, but the restaurant stays open and the DJ blasts music before and after the cruise, making it hard for guests to ever leave the ship. 

Without a doubt, the views on the boat were incredible. And there were so many photo opportunities! With an elegant restaurant, two bars, free WiFi and a 360-degree view of both NYC and New Jersey, this cruise was by far the most memorable part of our trip. We ordered cocktails and mingled on Hudson’s Observation Deck, before heading below deck to a luxurious lounge area where we ordered some hors d’oeuvres and relaxed on plush sofas. 

Around 8 pm, the music started to play and the DJ was absolutely on point. He played a range of songs from throwbacks like Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” to Latino hits such as Shakira’s “Chantaje.” The bar was open during the entire cruise, allowing guests to continue ordering drinks throughout the night. The music really contributed to the pleasant ambiance of our experience. 

To our delight, the DJ played Jay-Z’s “Empire State of Mind” as the yacht slowed down and we all ran to the windows to soak in the Statue of Liberty in all her majesty. It was the perfect moment to pause and realize that we were actually in the concrete jungle where dreams are made of! Even though it was pouring rain, we ran up to the deck for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see the Statue of Liberty up close. Rain or shine, it was truly a marvelous sight. 

While the city light views and the talented DJ were both wonderful, the cocktails served in the cruise may have been one of the best parts of the evening. Each cocktail was unique and reminded us of a certain memory from our yacht adventure.  

While enjoying the fresh air on the outdoor top deck bar, the Lust in the City Cosmopolitan was the perfect drink to start off the night. The “Cosmo” is Carrie’s favorite drink in “Sex and the City,” so of course one of us had to order it! This drink was a gorgeous coral color, decorated with a lemon slice on the rim. It had an interesting tart flavor, containing the ingredients, Crop Harvest Meyer Lemon Vodka, Pama Liqueur, Combier, and Lemon.

When it started to rain, we made our way down to the lounge with the DJ. With the fun atmosphere inside the ship, another cocktail was ordered, the Elyx Sunrise. This drink was made of Elyx Vodka, Orange, Lychee and Passion Fruit. The cocktail was a bright pink color and served in a copper cup, which made the aesthetics more memorable and added on to the overall entertainment of the cruise. This concoction may have been one of our favorites!

Before the night came to an end, one last cocktail was ordered. After asking the bartender to make his favorite drink on the menu, we were presented with the Half Moon Roca. This drink was a mix of Roca Patron Silver Tequila, Cointreau, Pama Liqueur, Cranberry, and Hibiscus. Served in a copper mug and garnished with a lime slice and flower petal, this cocktail was ready to impress. With tequila in the mix it was slightly on the stronger side, but the perfect drink to close off the evening!

When planning your next trip to New York, make sure to leave a night free for the Hudson’s by World Yacht at Pier 81. It will definitely be an unforgettable experience and really give you a taste of the true beauty of New York City. With delicious drinks, breathtaking views, and amazing live entertainment, you won’t regret your visit!  

Sara Zaghi was the Campus Correspondent and Editor in Chief of Her Campus at UCLA, which rose to the #1 chapter in the Her Campus Chapter Network of 370+ Campuses during her tenure, from 2015-2019. Zaghi is a self-proclaimed "Professional Fangirl” and currently works in entertainment and fashion publicity. In 2016, Sara was listed as one of Her Campus' Top 22 Under 22 Most Inspiring College Women. Check out Sara's College Girl's Travel Guides for Catalina Island, Las Vegas, New York, Napa Valley, Boston, and Chicago. Contact Sara via email: Sara_Zaghi@yahoo.com
Ysabel Chavez is a Snapchat Manager and Public Relations/Events Staff Member of the UCLA Chapter of Her Campus. She is fourth year student majoring in International Development Studies and minoring in Entrepreneurship. She has a passion for social media, creative marketing, innovation and entrepreneurship. She is originally for Sacramento, California and in her free time she loves going on spontaneous adventures or checking out local vegan hot spots.
Megan is UCLA's Co-Campus Correspondent. She is a 4th year English major and Education Studies minor at UCLA. When she's not at a coffee shop reading, she loves going to the beach and trying different cuisines at new restaurants.
Renée is an alumna at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) and served as the HCUCLA Editor in Chief and one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2019-2020 school year. She is passionate about storytelling and pushing for more Asian American representation in fashion and entertainment.