Restaurant Review: Thai House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

HC Rating: 3

Price: $

My permanent Thai food craving recently had me on Yelp looking at reviews of all the Thai food restaurants in close proximity to UCLA. But in my post-Dance Marathon exhaustion, I could not reconcile myself to the idea of a long bus ride, and ended up choosing the convenient option of Thai House in Westwood Village (on Gayley across from Whole Foods).

The restaurant is small and cozy, with friendly servers and a casual atmosphere. The menu was extensive and covered all my Thai staples plus some, but because there were only two of us we had to limit ourselves to a few dishes. We decided to start with a classic favorite: chicken satay (with extra peanut sauce, of course) ($8.50). The chicken was cut thinly but still moist, with a pleasant curry/grilled flavor. I was a little disappointed in the peanut sauce, which lacked strong peanut flavor and was more of a liquid consistency (and was an unexpected red color); I prefer the variation that is thicker and more like crunchy peanut butter. Next we ordered the vegetable red curry ($8.50), a combination of various vegetables (broccoli, baby corn, eggplant, green beans) in a spicy and flavorful curry sauce. The curry was tangy and hot without being overpowering. We used our bowl of white sticky rice to soak up the last of the curry and peanut sauce. We were slightly saddened with the dessert selection, as we had been hoping to end our meal with our favorite fried banana-mango-coconut ice cream combo. The only offerings were coconut or green tea ice cream.

I would definitely go back to Thai House to try my other favorites (pad thai, yellow curry, pineapple fried rice). Another major perk is that they deliver for free for orders over $15 and include complimentary Thai iced tea—so next time the craving hits, I’m planning on ordering in to the dorms. While it was not the best Thai food I’ve ever had, Thai House’s prices are college-student friendly and the food satisfied my hankering for a taste of Thai.

Pictures: http://jnrc.us/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/tommythai-300×225.jpg

Madeline Hunt is a senior at UCLA majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Spanish. Originally from the laidback beach-town of Santa Barbara, the California native finds the fast-paced nature and eccentricity of LA extremely exciting. Once more, she decided to expand her horizons when she studied abroad this past fall in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Madeline wants to pursue a career in the entertainment industry and is considering broadcast journalism and public relations as potential options. On campus, she is currently the Public Relations & Marketing Director for the student- run organization Fashion and Student Trends and an intern at E! News. She served as an entertainment reporter on UCLA’s accredited student newspaper, The Daily Bruin, under the video division and is a current member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. During her free time, she enjoys playing tennis, exercising, going to the beach, shopping (online shopping will be the death of her!), reading Glamour and Cosmo, eating Mexican food and sushi, spending time with her friends, practicing her Spanish, and satisfying her weakness for caffeine with Starbuck’s lattes.