Recap of “The Bachelorette” Episode 2: The Emerging Front Runners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Episode 2 of The Bachelorette was something else. We can already tell that this season is going to be wild. The men are crazy, the challenges are intense and Hannah is seriously savage. This week’s episode had two group dates and one 1-on-1 date. The first group date consisted of about 8 guys, and their challenge was walking a runway in front of a live audience in a speedo and performing a talent. Some men were apprehensive, while some were more than willing to show off their muscles. The winner was the eager show off, Luke P., who won because his “talent” was standing on stage with a microphone and professing his love for Hannah… 

Luke P.’s confidence startled some of the other men, as they told the cameras multiple times that they believed Luke P. was being disingenuous. I think even Hannah was confused by his profession, though she must have eventually come around because she revealed in a confessional that she actually believes him! Even though Luke P. took home the group date win, he did not take home the group date rose. The rose went to small town sweetheart Jed (I love him) because Hannah said she feels “calm and comfortable” when she’s with him.

The next date was the 1-on-1 with Tyler G. I didn’t know who Tyler was when he was selected, and I still don’t think he is the most memorable guy in the bunch. But his date went well and the two seemed to actually click. Tyler was very serious and wanted to get to know Hannah’s deeper self. He asked her what her hopes and dreams were, and I thought that was quite telling and genuine. The last date was another group date, but this time with 10 men: Dustin, Connor J., Daron, Tyler C., Mateo, Garret, Kevin, Joey, Devin and Peter. Their challenge: a roller derby game. The game proved to be quite competitive, as Dustin got minorly injured in the midst of play. He may have lucked out though, as Hannah came to the rescue and escorted him off the court.

But of course, it would not be a complete Bachelorette episode without some drama! There were three guys who did not get a date this week: Connor S., Cam, and a non-front runner who went home later that evening. Cam, the attention-seeker who won the rose on “After The Final Rose” in March, did not react well to being date-less this week. Therefore, he took it upon himself to show up to the group date evening portion uninvited. Let’s just say, the men were NOT having it. Cam’s actions of interrupting the date to speak with Hannah even rubbed her off on the wrong way, as it cut the night short and meant that many of the men did not get a chance to speak with her at all. Almost every single one of them had a word with Cam to give him a piece of their mind. This left Cam red-faced, embarrassed and looking like a fool.

Finally, it was time for the cocktail party! Front runner Connor S., who passionately kissed Hannah on night one did not get a date this week. Fortunately, he made up for it by pulling her aside to speak first at the cocktail party and reenacting that kiss once again. Hannah seemed once again smitten and I can’t help but blush when I see them together.

The cringiest part of the episode was Luke P. and Hannah’s intense PDA. Between their makeout in the confessional post rose ceremony, and their steamy shirtless massages in the private room (which Jed walked in on), I, and everyone I watched the episode with, just could not take it. 

I think it’s safe to say that Luke P. is an emerging front runner, along with Connor S, Jedd, Tyler G and Tyler C. At the end of the episode, Hannah sent three men home, one of which was Connor J. who has been a fan favorite from night one. Tune in next week to see tensions grow even higher between the men. I can’t wait to see Hannah fall more and more in love.

Grace is a senior at UCLA majoring in communications with a minor in film. In addition to being a Co-Senior Editor for Her Campus, Grace writes and models for FAST (Fashion and Student Trends).
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.