Rainbow background with book covers and text that says \"reading into 2022\"
Kylee Kropf
Wellness > Mental Health

Reading Into 2022: 7 Books To Inspire You This New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

In a market saturated with heartwrenching tragedies and idealistic romances (don’t get me wrong, I am a contributing consumer), it can be tough to find a read both inspiring and applicable. With 2022 spanning before us, we’ve all inevitably got goals and opportunities on our minds. Why shouldn’t we be looking for a book to match the mood? Check out these seven and you might find the perfect place to start:

If you’re looking to build or break habits, try… Atomic Habits by James Clear 

This sensation of a book reveals how tiny shifts and changes can produce remarkable positive implications. Integrating proven neurological, psychological and biological concepts with anecdotes, examples and practical implications, Clear breaks down how to transform habits to transform your life. 

If you’re looking to learn to appreciate the little things, try… The Joy of Small Things by Hannah Jane Parkinson 

As Parkinson celebrates the little things in her life with witty anecdotes, she’ll inevitably take you along with her. Her ability to exalt in simple, everyday pleasures is contagious and her writing is truly delightful. Drawn from the successful column in the Guardian, The Joy of Small Things is definitely a crowd favorite. 

If you’re looking for something spiritual, try… The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

This #1 New York Times Bestseller is a fundamental guide to “spiritual enlightenment.” Emphasizing personal growth, The Power of Now caters to the individual’s journey with spirituality. Demonstrating the advantages of living in the present, it encourages the reader to liberate themselves from their mind to eliminate pain and connect with the essence of their being. 

If you’re looking for day-to-day mental health tips, try…
Why Has Nobody Told Me This Before? by Julie Smith 

No matter what challenge you’re facing, Smith has a section for you. Based on her research and knowledge as a clinical psychologist, Why Has Nobody Told Me This Before? features insight into topics ranging from motivation, self-forgiveness, to anxiety, offering practical solutions and implementable coping techniques. 

If you’re looking to be inspired in multiple areas, try…
101 Essays That Will Change the Way You Think by Brianna Wiest

An inspiring and philosophical compilation, 101 Essays That Will Change the Way You Think includes pieces on an array of topics. Some highlights include the exploration of the benefits of daily routine, prioritizing purpose over passion and overcoming cognitive biases. It’s a thought-shifting book that may in fact “change the way you think” for the better. 

If you’re into setting goals (and going for them), try…
Power Hour by Adrienne Herbert

For students with already packed schedules, this makes achieving goals (whatever they may be) doable. Suggesting a simple 60 minutes a day can help you achieve your goals, Power Hour offers potential for anyone with a passion. And half of something being doable is believing it’s doable, so if that isn’t evidence of the power of Herbert’s writing I don’t know what is!  

If you’re your own worst enemy, try… Get Out of Your Own Way by Mark Goulston and Philip Goldberg 

Covering 40 self-defeating behaviors, such as anger, neediness, guilt, and procrastination, Goulston and Goldberg offer psychologically-proven steps for overcoming your own worst habits and “get[ting] out of your own way.” Simplistic and digestible, this book is a great starting point and can relate to almost everyone in one way or another.

Here’s to starting the new year optimistic and inspired! Taking care of yourself and your mental health is the priority and, often, the necessary first step for personal growth and achieving your goals. These books might set you in the right direction, reforming your mindset and enabling you to start 2022 excited and prepared. 

Kylee is a fourth-year at UCLA double-majoring in Communication and English with a concentration in Creative Writing. Her poems have been published in Train River Poetry, The Mandarin, Open Ceilings, and our very own Westwind (among others). She also writes feature articles for Her Campus at UCLA. In her free time, she acts, drinks way too much coffee, romanticizes everything, and buys more books than she can keep up with.