you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Profile: Max Amini

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Max Amini is a well-known Iranian-American comedian and actor, who graduated from UCLA’s school of Theater, Film and Television in 2004. Max has over 50 film and television credits including NBC’s “Heroes,” Comedy Central’s “Mind of Mencia” and “Beyond Paradise.”

1.) How has your experience at UCLA affected your life and successful career?

UCLA helped my career by having a fantastic film and TV department, and by connecting me to professionals in the entertainment industry.

2.) Did you do any stand-up at school?

I started producing a comedy show on campus called the Maximum Comedy Crush. I would fill up the entire room with students and go on and do some stand-up. It was a lot of fun, definitely one of my favorite memories at UCLA.

3.) How did your career start? How long did it take you to start working the bigger comedy clubs?

It’s not easy to get into these big clubs when you are new to the comedy scene. It took me six years of doing stand-up to get into the Laugh Factory and become a resident comedian there, which is a very prestigious thing for a comedian. There are thousands of great names that want to perform there and only one stage available.

4.) How did you get into comedy?

I was originally just an actor, but I realized that I am very good at improv and really enjoyed it. I started taking a workshop in stand-up comedy while also acting, but then my stand-up kind of took over. People know me most know for stand-up, but I am still an actor and work on many shows. Right now I am on the show Real Rob on Netflix.

5.) As an actor and comedian, how do you know you “made it?”

I believe that the minute you can pay for your own expenses then you are officially an artist. Once I started getting paid and was about to support myself, I felt like a professional and got an agent and manager. It is just a hobby until you make enough money to pay your rent and support yourself, then it becomes your career.

6.) Advice for UCLA theater majors?

I did this because it is what I wanted to do with my life. When you love your career, you’re going to work harder at it and do better. Being passionate about your career is one of the most important things. This advice definitely applies to everyone: no matter what you are doing in life, make sure it is something that makes you happy. 

7.) Where can fans follow you?

Instagram- @MaxComedian

Twitter- @MaxComedian 

For upcoming tour dates and more info on Max Amini check out his website.

Sara Zaghi was the Campus Correspondent and Editor in Chief of Her Campus at UCLA, which rose to the #1 chapter in the Her Campus Chapter Network of 370+ Campuses during her tenure, from 2015-2019. Zaghi is a self-proclaimed "Professional Fangirl” and currently works in entertainment and fashion publicity. In 2016, Sara was listed as one of Her Campus' Top 22 Under 22 Most Inspiring College Women. Check out Sara's College Girl's Travel Guides for Catalina Island, Las Vegas, New York, Napa Valley, Boston, and Chicago. Contact Sara via email: Sara_Zaghi@yahoo.com
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.