Profile: Kat Calvert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Known affectionately by friends as “international woman of mystery” and “the most interesting woman in the world,” Katherine Calvert is pretty remarkable. She has traveled the world, has worked as a writer, producer and reporter, and has even gone to circus camp. Not only is Kat involved in so many noteable organizations on campus, but she even holds leadership positions. She spared some of her free time- which is probably usually reserved for something silly like, I don’t know, breathing- to answer a few questions from Her Campus about her time at UCLA. 

Her Campus: What clubs and acitivites are you involved with on campus?

Katherine Calvert: I am a part of the Pediatric AIDS Coalition at UCLA. I am also the Social Director of Bruin Belles Service Association and I dance on NSU Modern, one of the competitive hip hop teams on campus.

HC:  What was your best experience at UCLA so far?

KC: There are so many to choose from! I have to say that Dance Marathon was probably the most challenging as well at the most rewarding. Being a part of PAC was something that really defined my freshman year. We had been preparing for Dance Marathon since October so the anticipation was high and having to be on stage the entire time was both exciting and nerve-wracking. Looking back those 26 hours are a blur! I experienced so much joy, physical pain, pride, and everything in between. When I finally sat down at the end of it surrounded by my committee I was sleep deprived, dehydrated, my legs were shaking, but I was so incredibly proud.

HC:  What advice would you give to freshmen who might feel overwhelmed or like UCLA isn’t for them?

KC: I would tell them that their feelings are completely valid. I have wanted to go to UCLA since I was five years old so I built up this place in my head to a standard it could never reach in reality. When I first got to campus I applied for many campus organizations and for the first few weeks I got rejected from every single one. I felt like UCLA was trying to chew me up and spit me out. I worried like I had made a mistake and UCLA wasn’t the school for me, or even worse, I wasn’t good enough for UCLA. Now, a year later, I am madly in love with this school and the people I have met here but there will always be doubts, insecurities and feelings of not being good enough or overwhelmed. Know that you are not alone here, everyone is feeling the same way even if they don’t want to admit it. Take everything as it comes, know that everything happens for a reason, and have fun!

HC:  What do you think is the most interesting thing about you?

KC: I think the most interesting thing about me is my travels and the stories I have from them. I have been chased by a money in Zimbabwe and a sea lion in the Galapagos, took a selfie with a bull in Mongolia and learned how to make bonbons from one of the world’s top chocolatiers in Hong Kong. This past summer I did a solo ride trip across South Africa from the International AIDS Conference in Durban back to my job in Cape Town where I worked as a writer, producer and reporter. These are just a few of the many experiences and adventures that make me the woman that I am today.

If you are lucky enough to cross paths with this hard-working juggernaut, the conversations you’ll have with her are surely ones you will not soon forget. 

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.