Profile: Her Campus at UCLA staffer Mackie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

This week, I got to chat with Mackie, who writes for HC UCLA and is our new social media director! She’s an English major from Agoura Hills, California, and came to UCLA for all the adventures. And she’s had a lot of them – she is a mentor for students and is hoping to study abroad next year. 

Mackie is interested in traveling to Japan for her study abroad, and though she’s working out the details, we know she’ll have a great time if she decides to cross the Pacific for some sushi, karaoke and amazing city views. She previously traveled to Israel for the Birthright program through Hillel at UCLA, where she got to go to the Dead Sea and ride camels in the desert. 

Outside of class, Mackie is in the Panhellenic sorority Gamma Phi Beta. She even served as the Assistant Sisterhood Chair. We talked about how sororities are a great way to have a build in network of friends for any trips or fun days you want to have, like seeing a taping of “Grease” or just hanging out. We’re advocates of sororities not being a way to buy friends, as is a stereotype, but simply finding a home away from home on campus where you can meet girls with similar interests for lots of Los Angeles adventures. 

Basically, Mackie is an all around all-star: she’s worked for the Student Wellness Commission, Financially Wise Women and Spark Alliance Marketing. She’s so sweet and the most genuinely enthusiastic person. We’re so excited that Mackie will be Her Campus at UCLA’s next Social Media Director – I’m stoked for her to lead our team next year. 

Lindsay was the president/editor-in-chief of the UCLA chapter of Her Campus from 2015-2018. She was previously the Viral Section Editor at Her Campus and an Editorial Intern at the headquarters in Boston. Lindsay grew up in Washington state and transitioned to love the Southern California sunshine while studying communications and environmental science at UCLA. Twitter: @WeinbergLindsay.