Profile: Gamma Phi Beta President Makenna Beigh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

“To Inspire the Highest Type of Womanhood.” That’s the mission of Gamma Phi Beta, Alpha Iota Chapter, which is a part of the Panhellenic Association at UCLA. 

President Makenna Beigh talked to Her Campus about her journey to become the Gamma Phi Beta President at UCLA. Makenna enlightened us on their philanthropic involvement with a 5K run, and her experience leading a group of lifelong friends to become intelligent leaders of the community. 

Her Campus: What were you looking for when you first joined a sorority in college?

Makenna Beigh: Well, in short: FRIENDS. I was terrified to come to such a big school not really knowing anyone and I figured a sorority was a great way to make a lot of friends at once. Never did I expect to make lifelong friends, but here we are, and I couldn’t be happier.

HC: When was the moment that you decided you wanted to be the president of Gamma Phi Beta?

MB: I don’t think there was ever one moment where it really clicked for me. I know it was something that I was considering for a while, kind of weighing the pros and cons. And eventually I just figured an opportunity like this probably wouldn’t pop up for me like this again, so I jumped in.

HC: What do you find the most rewarding aspect of being a president of a sorority?

MB: I think the most rewarding part of being the president of my sorority is being able to lead such an amazing group of intelligent, outgoing, hardworking women who inspire me everyday. Every time I really feel that I’ve succeeded in doing something as their president, I know it not only affects me, but also benefits them as well. And they truly deserve the world (they’re going to run it some day!).

HC: What is the most challenging aspect of being a president of a sorority?

MB: I think I became chapter president at a very interesting time. Across the nation, it’s really easy to use Greek life as a scapegoat for a lot of issues that come to the forefront of media attention in regards to college life. It’s been one of my top goals to really challenge this stereotype and publicly present the positive aspects of Greek life that not everyone gets to see on a normal basis like I do. It’s been a challenge, but it’s slowly coming around.

HC: What is it like trying to juggle presidency, school and work?

MB: Sometimes it’s tough! I’m really lucky that I enjoy all of it though. And when it gets to be overwhelming it’s always nice to lean on my support systems, like my executive board. They really get me through so much, I don’t think I could do this presidency without them.

HC: Talking a little bit more about Gamma Phi Beta as a sorority, what is your philanthropy that you support?

MB: Nationally, Gamma Phi Beta supports an organization called Girls on the Run. This organization is for prepubescent girls in an afterschool program that does a few things: first of all, we train them for a 5K (which is wild, because I don’t even think I could finish a 5K). And second we do workshops with them teaching about things like bullying, body image and just the struggles of growing up as a woman in general.

HC: How does Gamma Phi Beta Alpha Iota Chapter show their support?

MB: Gamma Phi Beta at UCLA is known for putting on our two philanthropies that aims to raise money to fund the Girls on the Run programs at elementary schools across LA. We do Gphi Joe, an obstacle course competition, and Moonball to raise money. Additionally, we send girls in our chapter to different schools to become coaches. At the end of the year, the entire chapter attends to 5K to help set up, do face paint for the girls, and cheer them on. It’s always so rewarding to see the sense of accomplishment on their faces after they’ve completed the race.

HC: How can the rest of campus show their support?

MB: Come participate in Gphi Joe or Moonball! I promise, you won’t regret it!

HC: What is your favorite spot to study on campus?

MB: Well, it’s technically off campus, but nothing compares to studying in my bed with my fuzzy blankets and a cup of warm tea in hand.

HC: When you’re not studying or working or being the president of Gamma Phi Beta, what is your favorite thing to do?

MB: I love to go to the gym. Working out keeps me sane and healthy at the same time, plus our gym is amazing.  

If you want more information about Gamma Phi Beta, Alpha Iota Chapter check their website or follow them on Instagram.

Jazzy Skye is a college student at UCLA with a passion for telling the world her adventures. Her favorite way to spend her free time is through travel and writing. She is currently an Events Director of the Her Campus UCLA Chapter and has recently began her travel and lifestyle blog, www.CulturedandClueless.com.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.