Profile: David & Allan Brik of UCLA’s Music Industry Committee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

We live in Los Angeles, the entertainment capitol of the world, yet UCLA does not have the best program for students interested in the entertainment industry… until now. Brothers David and Allan Brik founded the UCLA Music Industry Committee where they bring in big name performers to participate in “office hours” with UCLA students. Students can attend and ask questions and even make connections with these Grammy Award Winning artists. Check out our interview with David and Allan below and make sure to attend their next office hour event with Machine Gun Kelly on Febuary 7th.

Photo from Music Industry Committee’s Linkin Park Office Hours event from fall quarter. From left to right: music journalist Steve Baltin, David Brik, lead guitarist of Linkin Park Brad Delson, and Allan Brik. 

Photo Courtesty of David Brik

David Brik: UCLA Junior with a major in Economics and a minor in Music Industry.

Allan Brik: 1st Year Masters in Mechanical Engineering at UCLA.

Her Campus: Can you tell us about the Office Hours program?

David: The Office Hours series was created by the Music Industry Committee at UCLA to give students a first-hand insight into the music industry. The series consists of moderated conversations and a Q&A with successful artists and industry experts who will share their career insights, as well as tips on how to break into the business.

Allan: The best part about the Office Hours series is that students will have the unique opportunity to learn directly from professionals! Also, artists and prominent industry executives will get the chance to share their stories with students, all while inspiring the next generation of future leaders in the industry.

HC: How did you get involved with The Recording Academy?

David: I actually started as an intern for the Los Angeles Chapter of The Recording Academy during my Sophomore year. Now, I am the Representative in Los Angeles for the Academy’s college program called GRAMMY U!

HC: What are you involved with at UCLA or in the UCLA Community?

Allan: In addition to MIC at UCLA, I’m involved in the healthcare technology and research scene at UCLA. In particular, I’m part of a research group trying to combine medical robots and virtual realities for stroke rehabilitation applications.

David: I have always been very involved with the UCLA Volunteer Center. Being a part of UCLA Volunteer Day (aka the nation’s biggest service-oriented event for college students) is always very inspiring.

HC: What can we expect from the Office Hours program this upcoming year?

David: You can expect great things this year from Office Hours! We have an amazing line-up of guests for the coming months that we can’t wait to reveal. The series launched on January 19 with renowned singer, songwriter, producer, DJ and remixer Kaskade. Then on February 7, we will be hosting rapper Machine Gun Kelly whose song with Camila Cabello, “Bad Things”, is currently on the top 10 of the Billboard chart. And that’s all I can reveal for now! Allan: Also, the series will be live-streamed via Youtube, Tumblr and Facebook. As such, anyone with a genuine interest in the music industry can gain unparalleled access to the stories and insights of some of the most popular and successful artists of today by simply tuning in to Office Hours. UCLA students can sign up to become members of the Music Industry Committee at UCLA by filling out this form: https://goo.gl/5pHE7U.

Also, any student interested in learning more about music industry event planning, marketing and fundraising can reach out to through their social media!

Instagram & Twitter: @MICatUCLA ; Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/MICatUCLA/

Sara Zaghi was the Campus Correspondent and Editor in Chief of Her Campus at UCLA, which rose to the #1 chapter in the Her Campus Chapter Network of 370+ Campuses during her tenure, from 2015-2019. Zaghi is a self-proclaimed "Professional Fangirl” and currently works in entertainment and fashion publicity. In 2016, Sara was listed as one of Her Campus' Top 22 Under 22 Most Inspiring College Women. Check out Sara's College Girl's Travel Guides for Catalina Island, Las Vegas, New York, Napa Valley, Boston, and Chicago. Contact Sara via email: Sara_Zaghi@yahoo.com