Prince Harry & Meghan Markle Just Had Their Baby, And I’m Crying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I love babies! You love babies! We all loves babies! Teeny weeny little humans with their rosy cheeks and fat little bums are SERIOUSLY to die for!! On Monday, May 6th, a new lil human was brought into the world. Cute right? Well, this baby also just so happens to be the seventh in line for the British Crown! Yup, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle (AKA the Duke and Duchess of Sussex) FINALLY had their baby! Read below to learn the timeline of events that led to Harry and Meghan’s tiny bundle of love. 

A Royal Announcement 

On October 15, 2018, Kensington Palace released a statement confirming weeks-long rumors that Meghan was expecting. Posting on their official website, “Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are very pleased to announce that The Duchess of Sussex is expecting a baby in the Spring of 2019. Their Royal Highnesses have appreciated all of the support they have received from people around the world… and are delighted to be able to share this happy news with the public.” AND, BOOM! WITH THAT SIMPLE STATEMENT, THE FLOODGATES WERE OPENED!! People all over the world (myself included) got a bad case of baby fever! 

A Glowing Pregnancy  

As soon as the news was out, everyone quickly became obsessed with spotting a glimpse of Meghan’s baby bump. Meghan, however, did not shy away from the spotlight. In fact, her keen fashion sense only got stronger as her baby bump got bigger and bigger. *cue angels singing* Striped rompers, pantsuits and gowns galore, Meghan looked truely gorgeous in every single maternity outfit she wore! 

A #globalsussexbabyshower

In her short time as part of the royal family, Meghan has garnered the love and adoration of millions around the world. In April, a legion of fans began a grassroots campaign tweeting, “We’re kicking off a GLOBAL fundraiser…in honor of #BabySussex and the compassion and altruism of The #DukeandDuchessofSussex.” Organizers aimed to combat negative press coverage of the royal couple and instead spread love and positivity. Meghan and Harry’s official Instagram account even joined in! The Duke and Duchess encouraged fans to donate to charitable organizations, such as the Lunchbox Fund, Little Village HQ, WellChild and baby2baby. 

A Break From Tradition 

In May 2018, Meghan bucked royal tradition and hopped across the pond for a girls’ getaway trip in New York City! Amal Clooney and Serena Williams reportedly co-organized events, such as sightseeing, shopping and partying the night away! Although unheard of for a royal, Meghan also held an intimate baby shower for all her non-royal friends. 

A Loving Father (but SERIOUSLY where’s the baby??) 

After months of anticipation, Prince Harry finally revealed the birth of his SON to the world! Harry talked to reporters outside the grounds of Windsor Castle, revealing that Baby Sussex was born early on the 6th of May, weighing 7 lbs and 3 oz. Proudly beaming, the Prince exclaimed, “I’m so incredibly proud of my wife, and as every father and parent would ever say their baby is absolutely amazing, but this whole thing is absolutely to die for. Over the moon.” 

A True Reflection of Britian 

The birth of Baby Sussex holds much more meaning than a simple celebrity affair. Baby Sussex is the first British-American royal who also happens to be 25% African-American! Many British citizens see his birth as a true reflection of the diverse society that Britain has become in the modern age. One British woman explained, “When I was growing up as a mixed-race woman, I felt very distant from the royal family. Seeing Meghan marry into that family now, it marks a time in where the royal family, now more than ever, are reflecting on what real Britain is.” This is definitely a cause for celebration! Inclusivity and belonging are never out of style! 

A Baby & Name (finally!) 

On May 8th, we finally got the first glimpse of Meghan and Harry together! The happy couple greeted the press inside of Windsor Castle, posing for pictures and answering questions from the press. Meghan gushed to reporters about Baby Sussex, “He has the sweetest temperament, he’s really calm. He’s been the dream.” In addition to describing her first few days as a mom, “It’s magic, it’s pretty amazing. I have the two best guys in the world, so I’m really happy.” YAYY!! The happy family looked like they were on cloud nine, BUT what was their baby’s name? Meghan and Harry REFUSED to reveal. Luckily, the Duke and Duchess posted on their Instagram later that same day, presenting their son as ARCHIE HARRISON MOUNTBATTEN-WINDSOR! Cute AF and very British! 

Baby Archie and mum Meghan are both resting now, and we wish them all the best! Archie, although only a few days old, has big shoes to fill. Both his parents are amazing philanthropists who truly advocate for change around the world! We can’t wait to see how Archie grows and matures, but one thing is for sure: Archie is a lucky boy who will be loved and adored by amazing parents and fans all over the world. 

Sophia is a freshman at UCLA studying Political Science. In her spare time, she enjoys bingeing Grey’s Anatomy, scrolling through Pinterest, and reading. She aspires to one day attend Law School. ♡
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.