Practice Kindness From the Safety of Your Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Things are not great in the world right now, with the Coronavirus taking over by storm. It is frightening how quickly our lives have been changed, and we are all stuck wondering when we are going to be able to return to our normal lives. The most we can do, as of right now, is to stay home and stay informed.

Lately, there has been a lot of information on the news and in the media that can be overwhelming and disheartening to hear. There are videos of hospital staff members risking their lives and crying because they are unable to protect themselves nor go home to their families. There are numerous cases of xenophobia, in which people believe that Asians are the root cause of coronavirus, and they believe that harming Asians or displaying bigoted behavior will somehow make the situation better.

I can\'t help you mad men sally draper
Lionsgate Television
Truly, the way people respond in times of stress or uncertainty displays their true character. Yes, things are scary, and we do not know what is going to happen. However, this does not justify bigoted behavior nor does it justify people’s “I have a right to go outside” mentality. More than ever, we need to practice kindness by treating each other with respect. Xenophobic behaviors will not help us go back to our normal lives faster. It does not help with anything at all; it just sets us back further. The first cases did come from China, but that does not mean that Chinese people are to blame. No reason justifies violence and hatred towards another human being.

Practicing social distancing is another way to show kindness. Not only are you protecting yourself, but you are protecting whoever you come into contact with. It does not matter if you do not have symptoms – please stay at home. It is not a joke or something to take lightly. Hundreds of people are infected every single day, and people are dying without being able to see their families for the last time nor have proper funerals.

Hospitals worldwide are being overwhelmed. Nurses are having to use one-time masks throughout 12-day shifts, and some nurses are not even wearing masks because there just are not enough. Ventilators are being selectively given to those who have a higher chance of surviving, as nurses are forced to remain helpless as a patient takes their last breath. Let’s all work together to stay home and stop the spread of the virus – to flatten the curve and not overwhelm the healthcare system.

medical equipment
Photo by Tai\'s Captures on Unsplash

This is a time of coming together (from the safety of our homes) instead of tearing each other down. If you truly want to go back to your normal life, stay home and be patient. Be kind to one another, and be grateful that you are alive and healthy at home. This is a time in which a lot of people are sensitive and scared, so please stay calm and be understanding of each other. In time, this will soon pass, and we will be able to go back to our normal lives.

When we finally do go back to our normal lives, continue to practice good hygiene and appreciate what is in your life. Continue to be grateful to the food and package delivery people who continued to work although they were at risk of coming into contact with COVID-19. Be nice to the doctors and nurses who risked their lives at the frontline to save your family and friends.

Thank the unspoken and the underrated heroes. The grocery market owners, who are just as scared as you are, keep their stores open so you can have food and other essentials. The restaurant owners, who are facing massive financial losses, have their kitchens open for the few Postmates deliveries that may or may not come in. The mailmen, truck drivers, and delivery service people work tirelessly to get your deliveries to you as fast as they possibly can. There are definitely many more that are not being shown in the media. Please show your appreciation for their hard work. Show kindness because you can – you have control over how you treat others.

When you look back on this pandemic, what will you see? A person who cursed out Asians, bought 100 rolls of toilet paper, and went outside to a crowded beach? Or will you see someone who stayed at home and practiced kindness and patience? Be smart about how you react in times like these. Act wisely and considerately.

Lauren is a fourth-year Psychology major with a minor in Asian Languages at UCLA from Studio City, California. In addition to writing as a feature writer for Her Campus at UCLA, she loves reading for leisure, playing with her dogs, and watching The Office.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.