Post Election Playlist: 10 Motivational Songs for All you Nasty Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

“It’s always darkest before the dawn.” This line from Florence and the Machine’s “Shake it off” is a good reminder for us all this week.  

On Nov. 8th many of us felt blindsided by the results of the presidential election. I remember driving back home and feeling dazed and ironically enough the radio was playing “Numb” by Linkin Park.

Personally, I’m not ready for “Trump’s America”, and I don’t think many of us are. But there’s hope in knowing that people are already coming together to spread a message of not giving up hope. No matter what happens these next four years, we have to make sure to stick to our core beliefs and continue to advocate for women, people of color, the LGBT community and the rights of immigrants. This is a daunting task, and there’s going to be times when we struggle and feel defeated.

This post election playlist helps me process my emotions from angry disbelief , to sadness and finally to some hopefulness. Use this playlist as a pick me up, whenever you need to just cry it all out or feel as fierce as Queen Bey.

1.) “Be Ok”- Ingrid Michaelson

Pretty much the anthem to these last few days.

2.) “Complicated” – Avril Lavigne

Lyrics you need to shout: “You’re trying to be cool, you look like a fool to me”

3.) “Stronger ( What doesn’t kill you)” Kelly Clarkson

Imagine how much stronger we’ll be after these next four years are over.

4.) “If I were a Boy”- Beyonce

This election was so involved with the different standards men and women are held too.

5.) “Survivor”-Destiny’s Child

Lyrics to shout out: I’m a survivor /I’m gonna make it/I will survive/Keep on survivin’ 

6.) “Formation” – Beyonce

Celebrate your womanhood. “I dream it, I work hard, I grind ’til I own it.”

7.) “Alright”- Kendrick Lamar

I heard this being sung by hundreds of students during a protest. It gave me chills. It’s a song driven by pain and struggle, and an anthem of solidarity.

8.) “We all Try” Frank Ocean

Lyrics to reflect on :  I still believe in man/A wise one asked me why/Cause I just don’t believe we’re wicked

9.) “Float on”- Modest Mouse

Lyrics to reassure you: Well, we’ll float on/ good news is on the way

10.) “Shake it out “ Florence and the Machines

This song has gotten me through the worst of times. “It’s always darkest before the dawn” is such an incredibly powerful line, it let’s us know that better times are ahead. Even though we’ll have to work towards it, there’s hope in knowing what awaits us. So let’s get to work.

Helen Zapata is a sophomore majoring in English at UCLA. Beyond writing she loves crafting, gardening, planning elaborate birthday parties and reading bad romance novels.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.