This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

The Pomodoro Technique is a time management system that became popular in the 1980s when it was used by software developer Francessc Cirillo. The word “pomodoro” is Italian for “tomato” because when Cirillo was developing the Pomodoro Technique, he used a kitchen tomato timer.

The Pomodoro Technique works in the following way:

1. Choose a task to be accomplished

2. Set your timer for 25 minutes

* during these 25 minutes you are to work without any sort of distractions

* once you have completed the 25 minutes of working you will have completed one pomodoro

3. After the 25 minutes are complete, take a short break

* take a 5 minute break where you can do whatever you want!

* after you have completed 4 pomodoros (100 minutes of uninterrupted work) you can take a longer 15 minute break. The longer 15 minute breaks conclude the end of a pomodoro session.

You can just use a regular timer but there are also great apps out there that help you maintain track of your pomodoros and your productivity. Like this one!

Good luck on finals!

To learn more about the Pomodoro Technique check out LifeHacker

Mariana is a fourth year student UCLA majoring in International Development Studies and minoring in Urban and Regional Studies. She loves anything and everything with glitter on it. On her free time she enjoys eating acai bowls with her pet bunny, Lenord
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.