Planes, Trains And Automobiles, What Is The Best Way To Travel During The Holidays?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

With the holidays right around the corner, prices for flights have skyrocketed. It is always a struggle around the holidays because there are so many ways to get back. Like the 1987 John Hughes movie, planes, trains and automobiles all have a hold on us as we decide what is the best way to get home this December.

So what is the best way to travel during the Holidays? Obviously, it will vary depending on where you are coming from and where you are going. Traveling from Los Angeles to San Diego is a much different story than traveling from Los Angeles to New Jersey. Let’s break down each mode of transportation. 

Now you could always take the most common method, by car. Who doesn’t love a good road trip? If you have friends headed to similar destinations, this truly is the best option so you can take turns driving, sing some carpool karaoke, and even make pit stops along the way. The only major con about driving? The length. Driving is one of the longer methods of travel. It is its own journey for sure and the farther you live the less attainable the option seems. Gas prices are also astronomical right now, reaching as high as six dollars in highly populated areas

Photo via @bmw

If driving is not your style for one reason or another, then flying may be the way to go. Who doesn’t love a good airport trip? Flying is the most ideal method especially if you are going to a distant location. Plus, it is a fun experience. Getting into the airport itself is a hassle. You need to make sure you arrive a few hours early, check your bags and make it through TSA, but once you are through it is indeed smooth sailing.

Photo via @Delta

Airports are a great place to do some light shopping and eat before you get on your flight. Every terminal is filled with little stores and coffee shops such as Starbucks and Peet’s Coffee to provide options while you wait. Even better though is being on the plane itself. Relax while you fly through the sky and get home for the holidays. And if you can, do yourself a favor and snag a window seat because the views from the airplane are some of the most breathtaking ones you can see.

The major cons of the airport are costs and restrictions. Make sure you book at least three weeks in advance in order to avoid surge pricing otherwise ticket prices can be crazy. Also, you are limited to what you can bring on the plane as it has to fit in your bags and meet regulations. If you want to bring things such as full-size shampoo bottles and conditioner or hair spray you are going to need to purchase a checked bag. 

Now, if you want to think outside the box a bit with your travel experience, consider traveling by train this year. The Amtrak is a train that travels all across the United States and provides low rates for travel. You can live your life as if it was a movie, staring out the window of the train car, contemplating life. They have food and drinks available and amenities such as wifi to keep you entertained during the ride. The major con with the train is the length of the trip. A six-hour drive may be a nine-hour train ride. Also, you may need to take some connecting buses. If you have some time to spare, definitely consider this option!

Photo via @amtrak

No matter what way you travel this year, just make sure to plan ahead! The holidays can be a stressful time but handling travel ahead of time can help alleviate some of the responsibilities off of your shoulders. Whether it be by train, plane or automobile, get home safe and enjoy some time with family this year!

Hi :) My name is Jade and I am a second year at UCLA! I am a double major in communications and cognitive science and I am super excited to be apart of Her Campus