free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Our Top 6 Fangirl Moments Covering the American Music Awards Red Carpet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

On Sunday Nov. 19, we had the pleasure of covering the 2017 American Music Awards in Los Angeles, California. As the largest fan-voted awards show, the AMAs did not disappoint the fangirl in us. 

Here are some of our favorite moments from the carpet:

1. Selfies with Shawn

Most who watched the AMAs on TV would definitely that the Favorite Contemporary Artist winner Shawn Mendes stole the show with his performance, but I would say that he stole our hearts too. 

2. Getting Behind-the-Scenes Details on Justin Bieber’s “Despacito” Remix

We chatted with Justin Bieber’s producer and music collaborator, Poo Bear who gave us all the details on how the AMA Collaboration of the Year & Favorite Pop/Rock Song winning song came to life. “Justin Bieber is the reason that he is on the remix. It was his idea… Justin heard the song in Columbia—the original version—and he loved it and, ‘I want to remix it’ and called me.”

3. Asahd Khaled on the Red Carpet

Asahd was one of the youngest and most fashionable winners of the night. The 1-year-old son of DJ Khaled is credited as a producer on his newest album and even left the AMAs with a win for Favorite Song—Rap/Hip-Hop.

4. Seeing supermodel Heidi Klum

It’s not every day when you get to witness the beauty of the flawless Heidi Klum. Heidi looked gorgeous in her beige and pink designed v-lined dress. 

5. Seeing BTS

The K-Pop group made their U.S. debut at the AMA with an amazing performance. As someone who never really knew them before, it was really cool to see their large fan-base and American support. 

6. Watching couple Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman arrive

Of course they were hand in hand. Keith won Favorite Song—Country, Favorite Country Album and Favorite Country Male Artist.

Photos Courtesy of Sara Zaghi & Lindsay Weinberg

Sara Zaghi was the Campus Correspondent and Editor in Chief of Her Campus at UCLA, which rose to the #1 chapter in the Her Campus Chapter Network of 370+ Campuses during her tenure, from 2015-2019. Zaghi is a self-proclaimed "Professional Fangirl” and currently works in entertainment and fashion publicity. In 2016, Sara was listed as one of Her Campus' Top 22 Under 22 Most Inspiring College Women. Check out Sara's College Girl's Travel Guides for Catalina Island, Las Vegas, New York, Napa Valley, Boston, and Chicago. Contact Sara via email: Sara_Zaghi@yahoo.com
Lindsay was the president/editor-in-chief of the UCLA chapter of Her Campus from 2015-2018. She was previously the Viral Section Editor at Her Campus and an Editorial Intern at the headquarters in Boston. Lindsay grew up in Washington state and transitioned to love the Southern California sunshine while studying communications and environmental science at UCLA. Twitter: @WeinbergLindsay.