Oscars 2017: A Brief Summary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Oscars 2017: A Brief Summary

If you find it really difficult to sit through anything that is more than an hour, then odds are you probably didn’t watch the Oscars. Don’t worry: after reading this summary you’ll know enough to understand all the Oscar-themed tweets, memes, and gifs to come. The evening started with a stellar performance by Justin Timberlake! Jimmy Kimmel also made an appearance to keep people laughing about life and politics, among other things. There was also a number of celebrities reading mean tweets!

So without further a due, here is a list of all the winners, nominees, and important moments from this year’s Oscars.

Best Picture:

Arrival

Fences

Hacksaw Ridge

Hell or High Water

Hidden Figures

La La Land

Lion

Manchester by the Sea

Winner: Moonlight

The best picture announcement was perhaps the highlight of the entire evening, and not because this is the category that most people look forward to. Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway accidentally presented the award to the wrong cast and crew. Awkward. Having been given the wrong envelope backstage, Beatty hesitated when presenting the award and that’s when Dunaway jumped in and announced that La La Land won. It was only a few producers of La La Land gave their heartfelt speeches that word about the mix-up began to spread on-stage. Then Jordan Horowitz, a La La Land producer, stepped forward and said “What? You guys, I’m sorry, no. There’s a mistake. “Moonlight,” you guys won best picture.” Awkward. Arguably more awkward than the whole Miss-Universe-2015-Steve-Harvey disaster. But at least everyone handled the situation with grace and poise. I’ll leave it to you to find the symbolism in the way all this played out.

Actor in Supporting Role:

Jeff Bridges, Hell or High Water

Dev Patel, Lion

Lucas Hedges, Manchester by the Sea

Winner: Mahershala Ali, Moonlight 

Michael Shannon, Nocturnal Animals

Ali’s performance in this movie was phenomenal and if you haven’t seen this film yet then you really should. CEC is doing a free screening on February 28!

Actress in Supporting Role:

Winner: Viola Davis, Fences

Octavia Spencer, Hidden Figures

Nicole Kidman, Lion

Michelle Williams, Manchester by the Sea

Naomie Harris, Moonlight

Fun fact: Viola Davis in now officially the first black actor to win an Oscar, Emmy, and Tony in the acting category. Congratulations Viola! And thank you for pushing for the recognition of black talent in the entertainment industry!

Actor in Leading Role:

Winner: Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea

Andrew Garfield, Hacksaw Ridge

Ryan Gosling, La La Land

Viggo Mortensen, Captain Fantastic

Denzel Washington, Fences

Brie Larson presented Casey Affleck with this award and it was really clear that she would’ve rather not. She may not have communicated her unhappiness in words but her facial expression did all the talking, as did the fact that she didn’t clap for him after his acceptance speech. So why was Larson so unhappy? Well because Larson, a prominent advocate for survivors of sexual assault, was presenting an award to an actor who has been sued on multiple occasions for sexual harassment and assault. I can see why that would make her angry. I would be angry too, but kudos to Larson for handling that situation with such class.

Actress in Leading Role:

Isabelle Huppert, Elle

Ruth Negga, Loving

Natalie Portman, Jackie

Winner: Emma Stone, La La Land

Meryl Streep, Florence Foster Jenkins

Documentary (Feature):

Fire at Sea

I Am Not Your Negro

Life, Animated

Winner: O.J.: Made in America 

13th

Animated Feature Film:

Kubo and the Two Strings

Moana

My Life as a Zucchini

The Red Turtle

Winner: Zootopia

I’m not going to lie, I loved Zootopia but I reeeeaaaally loved Moana!

Live Action Short Film:

Ennemis Intérieurs

La Femme et le TGV

Silent Nights

Winner: Sing

Timecode

YAAAAAAS! Spoiler alert: highlight of this film was the scene with one of the pigs singing Lady Gaga’s Bad Romance!

Music (Original Song):

“Audition (The Fools Who Dream),” La La Land

“Can’t Stop the Feeling,” Trolls

Winner: “City of Stars,” La La Land 

“The Empty Chair,” Jim: The James Foley Story

“How Far I’ll Go,” Moana

I’m not the only person who listens to “How Far I’ll Go” literally 300 times a day, am I? Yeah, I wish this went to Moana! If you can’t already tell, I really wanted Moana to win something!

Music (Original Score):

Jackie

Winner: La La Land

Lion

Moonlight

Passengers

Directing:

Denis Villeneuve, Arrival

Mel Gibson, Hacksaw Ridge

Winner: Damien Chazelle, La La Land

Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester by the Sea

Barry Jenkins, Moonlight

Writing (Original Screenplay):

Hell or High Water

La La Land

The Lobster

Winner: Manchester by the Sea

20th Century Women

Writing (Adapted Screenplay):

Arrival

Fences

Hidden Figures

Lion

Winner: Moonlight 

YAAAAAAAAS! But Hidden Figures and Lion definitely deserve a mention because both movies are guaranteed to tug at your heart strings!

Directing:

Danis Villeneuve, Arrival

Mel Gibson, Hacksaw Ridge

Winner: Damien Chazelle, La La Land

Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester by the Sea

Barry Jenkins, Moonlight

Visual Effects:

Deepwater Horizon

Doctor Strange

Winner: The Jungle Book

Kubo and the Two Strings

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Clearly I’m not the only one who was extremely impressed by the realistic CGI effects of The Jungle Book! Congratulations to the talented team that produced this film!

Cinematography:

Arrival

Winner: La La Land

Lion

Moonlight

Silence

Film Editing:

Arrival

Winner: Hacksaw Ridge

Hell or High Water

La La Land

Moonlight

Costume Design:

Allied

Winner: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Florence Foster Jenkins

Jackie

La La Land

Makeup and Hairstyling:

A Man Called Ove

Star Trek Beyond

Winner: Suicide Squad 

Sound Editing:

Winner: Arrival

Deepwater Horizon

Hacksaw Ridge

La La Land

Sully

Sound Mixing:

Arrival

Winner: Hacksaw Ridge

La La Land

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi

Foreign Language Film:

Land of Mine

A Man Called Ove

Winner: The Salesman

Tanna

Toni Erdmann

Animated Short Film:

Blind Vaysha

Borrowed Time

Pear Cider and Cigarettes

Pearl

Winner: Piper

Production Design:

Arrival

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Hail, Caesar!

Winner: La La Land 

Passengers

Documentary (Short Subject):

Extremis

4.1 Miles

Joe’s Violin

Watani: My Homeland

Winner: The White Helmets

So there you have it! Now you’re mostly all caught up on current affairs!

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.