An Open Letter to My High School Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Dear Me,

As I sit here to write this, I am currently a senior in college. It really is crazy how fast time flies by. I vividly remember graduating high school like it was just yesterday. You were an excited, yet extremely frightened, 18 year old ready to embark on a new chapter of your life. You thought you weren’t ready, and you thought that life as you knew it was ending. Well, in a way it was – but what you didn’t know then, is that a new life was just beginning.

I know you’ve had a lot of friendship trouble growing up, and unfortunately those days will continue. You will experience heartbreak from broken friendships, but you will also feel the love of true friends. You will soon realize who has your back, and who your true friends are – and you will be extremely thankful for those people who stuck around.

You will go through hard times, and you will have to make some tough decisions, but just remember to always follow your gut. It will lead you to where you are supposed to be. Who knew that place you were supposed to be would end up being UCLA? That’s right – you’re going to end up at the #1 public university in the nation.

I know right now you are quiet and scared, and you are wondering whether you’ll ever find your place in this world. Well, I’m here to tell you that you will. You will take classes that will allow you to exit your comfort zone. You will learn about yourself and about the true potential that you have. You will learn that you have the power to be independent and to live on your own – and this will give you the strength to live out your dreams.

More than anything, I want you to know that it gets better. I know everyone always tells you this, and you never believe them. But trust me, it is true. Of course, life will bring you struggles, but they are there for a reason. Every hard time you go through will teach you an important lesson and make you into a stronger young woman.

So, enjoy being young and not having to #adult for a while. Because I promise you, you’ll miss it someday.

XOXO,

Your future self

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.