Need a Laugh? Watch These 6 Comedies To Be in Stitches With Your Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I have some questions for the entertainment industry right now, such as: Where have all of the top-tier comedy films gone? Have we reached the end of an era already? Is there any chance we can bring back the glory days of Melissa McCarthy, Kevin Hart and Jonah Hill gracing our screens and leaving us in stitches? 

Today’s comedic productions are oftentimes leaving audiences with bouts of disappointment after wasting two hours listening to nobody actors trying to be “woke.” I’ve had enough of the social media influencer caricatures, parents trying (and miserably failing) to be hip, as well as the over-exaggeration of teenagers’ obsessions with TikTok and Snapchat. That is not comedy, that is just a sad excuse for relatability. 

While I could go on about this for ages, I digress. Ladies, if you want to watch a seriously funny film with your friends, might I recommend these six classics that will effortlessly bestow rock-hard six-packs upon all of you from the amount of laughter that will ensue:

The heat
Sandra Bullock Comedy GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment - Find & Share on GIPHY
Sandra Bullock Comedy GIF By 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment via Giphy

Without a doubt, this is my favorite comedy of all time. In this film, Sandra Bullock (Sarah Ashburn, FBI) and Melissa McCarthy (Shannon Mullins, Boston PD) team up as an unlikely duo to take down a highly sought-out druglord by the name of Larkin. Bullock’s neurotic, condescending attitude in contrast to McCarthy’s blunt unprofessionalism makes for non-stop laughs and tears of joy for viewers.

Bridesmaids
Help Me Im Poor Kristen Wiig GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
Help Me Im Poor Kristen Wiig GIF via Giphy

This all-women ensemble cast took Hollywood by storm with this feat of comedic genius, as the film follows the adventures of a recently engaged woman and her bridal party in the months leading up to the big day. Some of the big names boasted by this film are Maya Rudolph, Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy (she can seriously do no wrong), Rose Byrne and Ellie Kemper. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed.

superbad
High School GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
High School GIF via Giphy

Superbad is not just a staple film on every teenage boy’s watchlist my friends, this movie deserves to be viewed and appreciated by ALL. Three major nerds (Jonah Hill, Michael Cera and Christopher Mintz-Plasse) take on the challenge of securing liquor for a girl’s end-of-the-year party. Considering they are all under 21 and their only hope is a fake I.D. under the mononym “McLovin,” prepare for a wild night of parties, police run-ins, and LOTS of booze.

21 and 22 Jump Street
High Quality Name GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
High Quality Name GIF via Giphy

Congratulations, you’ve reached the two-for-one special with Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill’s take on a police-centered comedy, 21 Jump Street and 22 Jump Street! One taking place in high school and the other in college, these films follow two wannabe cops that are tasked with taking down teenage drug lords, which they attempt to do by enrolling in school and assuming the identities of teenagers themselves.

Good Boys
Lucas Happy Dance GIF by Good Boys - Find & Share on GIPHY
Lucas Happy Dance GIF By Good Boys via Giphy

A truly slept-on film released a few years ago starring Room’s Jacob Tremblay, this plot follows three middle school-aged boys that deal with the everyday struggles of growing up. Conducting drug exchanges, crashing expensive drones and crossing busy highways: all part of the exciting pre-teen experience, no?

Central intelligence
April Fools Day Comedy GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
April Fools Day Comedy GIF via Giphy

Kevin Hart and Dwayne Johnson have starred in several comedies together throughout the years, but in my opinion, this is by far their best work. A unicorn-loving, fanny pack-wearing CIA agent (Johnson) meets up with an old high school classmate (Hart) that is bored with his life as an accountant in hopes that he can get help taking down a terrorist messing with U.S. satellite codes. Truly hysterical and creative performances by both men, a must-watch!

Stream some of these films the next time you’re aimlessly scrolling through Netflix or HBO Max and I promise that you won’t be disappointed. There are worse ways to spend a Friday night than rolling all over the floor with tears of laughter streaming down your cheeks alongside a few of your closest friends. So…what are you waiting for? Turn down the lights, pop some corn and get watching!

Grace LaPlante is currently a senior English major at UCLA—she’s a literature lover, music enthusiast and sports fanatic with dreams of traveling the world someday!