Style > Beauty

My Unfiltered Thoughts On 7 Lip Oils (AKA, The Latest Makeup Craze) 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Dating back to the days of all-matte makeup, I’ve always been a lip gloss kinda gal. Recently, the bandwagon that makeup brands seem to be hopping on is lip oil. Unique in formula, they typically boast the hydration of a balm with the shine of a gloss. With so many releases and me being a serial lip gloss buyer, I’ve tried several of the most talked about varieties. Here are my thoughts:

Dior Addict Lip Glow Oil- $40

Starting off with probably the most well-known lip oil, the price definitely made me pause. For $40, I need this lip gloss to work miracles and unfortunately, it doesn’t. I’d say you could find better formulas at CVS, even. That being said, the allure of this product lies in its packaging and the fact that it is from Dior. Its classy “CD” embossed bottle plagues Pinterest feeds. However, if you’re less concerned with aesthetics and more with the product itself, pass on this one. 

E.L.F. Glow Reviver Tinted Lip Oil- $8

E.L.F. has become notorious for creating “dupes” of popular expensive makeup products. I’m often skeptical that this is just an attempt to prey on the buzz of the original. While this isn’t a dupe of the Dior oil, I think it’s even better. In fact, this (in the shade “rose envy”) has quickly become my go-to lippie. It is much more pigmented and longer lasting than the Dior variation, at ⅕ of the price. 

Rhode Peptide Lip Tint- $16 

This isn’t technically a lip oil but it claims to hydrate and give a glossy finish, so i’ll include it. Despite these claims, I actually find this to be the least glossy of all those I’ve tried and I feel like it actually dries out my lips. For these reasons, I never reach for it.

Rare Beauty Soft Pinch Tinted Lip Oil- $20

Labeling this product as a lip oil is an interesting choice. To me, the formula is more similar to the Korean lip tints I’ve tried. Since I’m a big fan of those formulas, I really liked this. It doesn’t give that ultra glossy finish that typical lip oils do, but rather it applies like a sheer liquid lipstick. 

Summer Fridays Dream Lip Oil- $26

The beauty of glosses as opposed to lipsticks is that they are less opaque. Therefore, you can apply them easily without a mirror. This formula, however, is very opaque. This is not a con to me, as I do really like this and I often pair it with a matching lip liner. Though, the difference in formula/finish is important to note, depending on what look you’re going for. It is also pretty long lasting, which is a plus. 

Fenty Cherry Treat Conditioning + Strengthening Lip Oil- $24

This borders on being more of a lip balm than a makeup product. I really like it for my subtle “no makeup” makeup days. Though it is red in the bottle, it gives a clear sheen on the lips. For the minimal makeup girlies, this may be the pick for you. 

Too Faced Kissing Jelly Lip Oil Gloss- $22

The scents on these are reminiscent of lip smackers, with options like “bubblegum” and “cotton candy” in all their artificial goodness. I am scared of red lipstick, but the sheer red of the shade “sour watermelon” is so wearable and cute. I’ve heard less buzz about this one, but I think it’s better than many of its more hyped counterparts. 

These were my honest thoughts on some popular lip oils. If you only try one of these, I’d definitely choose the E.L.F. (which happens to be the cheapest). Take it from me, there’s no reason to be spending $40 on lip gloss. 

Lily is a third year Political Science major at UCLA from Sarasota, FL. In her free time, she loves binge-watching sitcoms, listening to music, and finding new coffee shops.