Medicine cabinet packed full of skincare products
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

My Favorite Sunscreens For This Summer (And Year Round) 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Summer is upon us, and the sun is slowly starting to come out. I’m not the first person to say this, but let me reemphasize: wear your sunscreen! Not just when you’re spending the day outdoors, but every single day. It’s not just about sunburns either. Sun exposure is a primary culprit for speeding up skin aging and even worse, skin cancer. 

I know we are all slightly traumatized by the goopy, opaque white sunscreens of our childhood. No matter how much you’d rub it in, it would always leave your face slightly pasty-looking. But fear not, those days are gone and there are now so many good options suitable for everyday wear. Here are some of my favorites:

Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen

You could say this is my “holy grail” sunscreen. It has a clear formula straight out of the tube, so no worrying about a white cast on any skin tones. It’s not heavy whatsoever and sinks right into the skin, making it good for all skin types. It’s also oil-free, a must for those of us who are acne-prone. This one is definitely my everyday favorite, and the numerous bottles that I’ve finished is proof.  

unseen suncreen?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Sephora
Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Niacinamide Sunscreen 

Niacinamide is a bit of a trending ingredient in skincare recently, claiming to help repair the skin barrier and minimize redness. If you have dry skin like I do, this sunscreen gives a little extra moisture boost to your skincare routine. Unlike the other products on this list, this sunscreen is scented (just like watermelon candy in my opinion). I know scents in skin care are a bit controversial. However, I have very sensitive skin, and this product has never irritated it.  

Rohto Skin Aqua UV Super Moisture Gel 

When I traveled to Japan, I picked this sunscreen up on a whim. I’m pretty sure it caught my eye because it was labeled as a best-seller, and I totally understand why. It has an incredibly light formula that literally sinks in within seconds (it’s kind of mind blowing). You can’t feel anything on your face at all when wearing this, so it’s perfect for anyone that wants a product as lightweight as they come. The only downside is that it is a little difficult to get a hold of. Luckily, it is available on Amazon (though the price is unfortunately marked up from what it normally is).

Supergoop! (Re) Setting Refreshing Mist

What can I say, I’m a bit of a Supergoop stan. The formula for this product is really unique, so I had to include it. It is just like your standard makeup setting spray, except it contains SPF 40 for an extra boost of sun protection. Though, my favorite way to use this is for re-application throughout the day. I have a travel-sized bottle that I take with me when I know I’ll be outside and in the sun. Reapplying sunscreen while you’re out and about can get messy (especially when you’re wearing makeup), so this method makes it so much simpler. 

Experts recommend an SPF of at least 30, so keep this in mind when choosing one. This summer especially (but year-round), slather on that sunscreen! It really is the most important step in your skincare routine. 

Lily is a third year Political Science major at UCLA from Sarasota, FL. In her free time, she loves binge-watching sitcoms, listening to music, and finding new coffee shops.